Monday, May 12, 2008

Things That I Remember (4)


Yesterday was Mother's Day. Since I am a mother, it was my day. The problem with that is the rest of the world continues as if it were any other Sunday, and life obligations do not stop to bow down to Mother's Day. I had work to do, since we are moving soon, and packing waits for no Mother. In the morning, I got a card and the nice wishes, and then the rest of the family went about their daily routines.

By evening, I decided I needed some Apple Pie A'la Mode. We jumped in the car and drove out to purchase some pie and vanilla bean ice cream. While I was eating this sweet treat, I had a very nice memory of ice creams past. When I was a child, my father would sometimes have a "sweets attack" and we would pile into the car to pick up supplies. Invariably, we would travel home with burgeoning bags of bananas, ice cream, whipped cream, maraschino cherries, caramel topping, fudge topping, plain vanilla ice cream, and chocolate chip ice cream. Sometimes, there would also be pie.

We would all gather in the kitchen to fill our dessert dishes with more ice cream sundae and banana split than any one individual ought to be able to have at one time, and sit around the table and laugh, talk, and eat to our hearts' content. I remember thinking that it was so great when my dad had a sweet tooth, because we all got the benefit. He died of cancer 9 years ago at an age that was much too young, and the suddenness of the memory made it all the more sweet.

Ice cream is yummy and brings many happy memories. If saved for an occasional treat, you will savor it more, and will have more distinct memories. Until next time...

No comments: