Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Falling Away...

The leaves shed slowly from the trees. One at a time, they take the lonely leap to the ground. Today, a fire in the hearth, rain on the eaves, a HUSH all around. Even as I am thankful for this glorious day, I find also that this scene evokes a melancholy. I send fond thoughts to my distant family and friends.

The wild turkeys came to visit, and pecked around the yard this day for about three hours. We were careful not to disturb them, but to sit quietly and watch the family of eight take their daily meal from our land. I am happy to offer the many grasshoppers to them. I am watching The Sound of Music for the very first time today. I can't imagine how I ever thought it was boring! I have found myself even blotting tears...

Today, we curl our appendages and wrap ourselves in the warmth of hibernation, and we wait...




No comments: