Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Take a Gander...

Main Entry: glance
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: A quick look.
Synonyms: blush, glimpse, peek, peep

Here's the thing. I need to coin a word that is akin to "voyeur" but does not mean "like to peek at unsavory naked photos or seedy underworld videos." Because I need a word to describe the phenomenon of peeking into the lives of others in a positive and invited manner.

The kind of word that you could write home about, eagerly pin to your vest, and invite others to join the fun of being and doing the meaning of this word. It should be something like "Gander" but needs to entail a longer, deeper look than a quick glance.


Why, you ask?
Well, because I have always liked to peek into the lives of others, and I am not alone. It began when I was a very young child, and I peeked into the lives of the Fairy Princesses who lived in the lands of Far, Far Away. It continued when in Junior High I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ,and in High School when I read The Grapes of Wrath.
We all do it when we read Jane Austen's fabulous mix of characters. When we read non-fiction travelogues. (My favorite books that fall into this category in the bookstore are by Carol Drinkwater and Peter Mayle.) Or watch Gone With the Wind. Or Out of Africa. When we read biographies and autobiographies. And now, when we read Blogs.
I do not support the reading of tabloids and tabloid magazines that fuel the unscrupulous careers of the Papparazzi. I do not wish to join them in those murky depths. But the fact remains that we, collectively (I am glad to have company in this boat), are fascinated with the lives of others.How many fictional characters have we met and (dare I say it) loved, only to have it all end.
Poof. C'est Fini!
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?
Enter: THE LAND OF BLOGDOM. Where we are invited guests, observers, ganderers (okay, gander(er) is not a word, but I am working on it), maybe even friendly anonymouos bystanders watching the events of lives unfold before us. From this we derive many benefits.
ENTERTAINMENT, LAUGHTER, LOVE, SADNESS, HAPPINESS,
INSPIRATION, MOTIVATION.
So, browse around, take a gander, peek (or peep) to your heart's content, or until your heart is content, as you choose the phraseology. As long as you understand the CODE: no lurking in dark corners for any dark purpose.
bloggers invite your visits...
And the best part?
IT DOESN'T END, AS DOES FICTION.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT IS AROUND THE CORNER OF EVERY NEW POST...

No comments: