Thursday, October 23, 2008

Your Vegetarian Baby

This evening, I spent a couple of hours in the garage locating some of my needful things that have been in boxes since our move (now four months ago!). For reasons with which I need not bore you, we decided to leave a good portion of our belongings in storage for a time. However, I have been compiling a small mental list of items I really wanted handy, and today was the day to uncover them. In so doing, I uncovered this MARVELOUS, MUST-HAVE book which had not been on my list, but ought to have been.

Lately, my daughter has been on a food protest. As happens with many children at her age, she has become so picky about food that she is practically living on only one food item: bread. She is a HUGE fan of your friend, and mine, the cArBoHyDrAtE. If it resembles bread, pasta, or potato, she is a voracious eater. Lately, not so much the potato. Or the pasta. Just the bread, please. With peanut butter. And jelly. And the Organic Purely O's (resembling Cheerios, but organic, and without modified corn starch, sugar or tripotassium phosphate).

So, my hunt in the garage was mostly for my vegetarian cookbooks and juicing recipe books. While there, I found this little gem. Your Vegetarian Baby is a wonderful book written by Dr. Pietro Rotondi, D.C. (Find a great article here that includes information about him.) My copy is from a number of years ago, and his office hours are given in the title page. It is specifically targeted to the care and development of children for new mothers. However, it is really a life approach to eating and caring for children, and has information that is good for the whole family.

His dedication is "To Humanity" and goes as follows:
The human body is the temple of God,
and as real as God himself
because he dwells in it.
It's existence cannot be denied for in denial
lies the very proof of reality.
The contents include a few recipes, a "food versus poison" section, baby care information, a section on discipline, a teen-agers section, and a section on vegetarian heritage. I will leave you with a passage from this section, and I say, the cover image alone is worth the price of this book. (It is a 75-page pamphlet book.)

"We come to this earth as infants. Our span of life here is marked by spiritual and physical growth. Our greatest good must then be derived in building our body temples to that state of human perfection for which they are intended."

No comments: