Monday, November 3, 2008

Cinnamon and Spice

A sore throat and a sniffle have found their way into my home and are jockeying for position in a host. Who will it be? Me? Amilia? Mr. Nature? We are all trying to ignore them in the hope that they will simply go away. A little extra Echinacea tea should help them decide to exit, stage left.

The rain has arrived in earnest, and today I worked in my cozy sweatpants, sweatshirt, and knitted slippers while the wind howled outside and cold water dripped from the sky. This made it a perfect evening to have baked apples for dessert.

There are plenty of recipes for baked apples, but I just did it the simple way. I took three Granny Smith apples and cored them. Some say to just make a well, but not all the way through. I like to core them entirely so no tough bits that normally surround the seeds will remain.

I placed them in a glass Pyrex pie dish, and filled the middle of each apple with organic raisins and organic brown sugar. I did not measure, I just alternated the raisins and sugar until the centers were full. Sprinkled the tops with cinnamon. Placed them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. As they baked, I added a little water in the dish, and sprinkled over the top of each apple to help the cinnamon mix into the apples. (Some recipes also use butter in the filling of each apple, but I used none this time.)The scent of baking cinnamon and apples is happy and comforting. We followed our noses to the oven, and found the delectable treat so inviting that we GOBBLED IT ALL UP! The photo above is from a recipe I just found here, for those of you who would like to have a roadmap to Preparation. The recipe is very simple. Baked apples are a quick and wholesome treat that we can feel good about eating. Keeps you warm and cozy inside while it is COOOOLD and heading toward WINTRY outside.

Happy Autumn Pleasures!

No comments: