Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Break from Treasuries Gone Wild

Okay, now those of you who are not addicted to Etsy will be wanting to read something else right about now, so let me tell you that Mr. Nature (my personal chef and spouse) and I had an enlightening conversation yesterday from which it was determined that I am really not interested in Esoteric Knowledge these days, but am much more captivated by Practical Knowledge.

You need your crib assembled? That's me! Don't know how to put snow chains on your car? Me. Want to learn to cast a fly rod? Me. Balance the checkbook? Me. Organize your closet/garage/shop/greenhouse? Me. Plant vegetables in the garden? Me. Animal husbandry? Me. Knit a scarf? Me. Book binding? Me. Trim the dog's nails? Me. Hook up the computer modem and new desktop? Me.

What is a Gnostic? Mr. Nature. Read this (actually pretty interesting) article about Semantic Knowledge and Practical Knowledge? Mr. Nature. Study Genealogy? Mr. Nature. Historic significance of the Roman Empire and its collapse? Mr. Nature. though I must confess that this is more interesting to me in light of current events than it has ever been before... Art History? Mr. Nature. Mythology? Mr. Nature. Comparative Religion? Mr. Nature. Cosmology? Mr. Nature. Philosophy? Mr. Nature. (and me, a little on that one)...

Where do the lines blur? He is a foodie and is the only one in the house who ever does any cooking, except on holidays when I help, or when I make one of my special occasion specialties like French Onion Soup. He chops the wood and keeps the fire going in the grate. He does all those woderful thoughtful practical things to make our (Amilia and myself) world easier and more pleasant.

I used to love knowledge for the sake of knowledge, but I find that my patience is not what it once was for sitting still. I would rather be DOING something with my hands, creating something for others, and learning HOW to do something much more than I enjoy *yawn* reading about the blah blah history of blah blah...

We learn something new every day (with any luck!)...

No comments: