Saturday, February 21, 2009

Farm to Fork

Today, I went again to the seed store to pick up some more of the seeds we will plant this season. I took with me for exchange two packets of seeds that I had picked up before because I had not gotten HEIRLOOM on those. I hadn't noticed it until I got them home.

They were a tomato variety and an okra. I traded the tomato for this Cherokee Purple. I can't wait to see these little guys hanging from the vine!

As for the okra, alas, there was no heirloom option. I will have to search the internet for organic heirloom okra seeds if I am to have a hope of okra this year. I was at the local co-op grange nursery, and if they don't have them, I'm pretty sure I am out of luck for a local source. Sadly, Ace, Lowe's, and Home Depot are not really interested in supplying heirloom seeds.


While I was there, I decided to pick up a few more items that were on my list for the garden.



More yummy lettuce to go with my arugula and butter lettuce.





Cilantro for that yummy salad, salsa, and quesadilla al fresco.

BUT LOOK WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PACKET!

Amilia and The Mr. were waiting in the car while I just ran in to quickly exchange my seeds. In my haste to make sure I got HEIRLOOM this time, I forgot to make sure they were also ORGANIC!!!

Uggg. Now, if I had to make a choice to plant one or the other, I would certainly forgo organic to have heirloom. But I really want both.

So, next town day, I will make another trip to the seed store to exchange these for ORGANIC AND HEIRLOOM.


DITTO the mint...




AND the Catnip....

AND the Green Arrow shelling peas that were not flat enough to scan for this photo op.

See? It is tough to tend to the DETAILS that are so important, and we have to be so diligent to ensure that we are really choosing the best we can obtain.

No wonder The Mr. calls me Grandma all the time! (No offense to those grandmas who still have a memory left!)
So, I drift off tonight dreaming of the plants
that will come from the seeds
that will come from the seed store
to my little humble "farm"
to my summer fork!

7 comments:

Sherri said...

How fun! I love the idea of having our garden, but we haven't been very successful. I actually bought the book Gardening for Dummies. We'll see if that helps!

Caregivingdaughter

Melinda said...

Hi there! Have you tried Seed Savers Exchange online? They specialize in heirloom seeds.

Here is their okra collection:
http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?search=okra&image2.x=0&image2.y=0

Good luck with your garden. We saved tomato seeds from a number of varieties last year and I look forward to seeing them grow!

lisa winter said...

those look like some great things to plant, i'm with you, i love organic but will choose an heirloom variety over it. Organic seed is nice but in my opinion, it is much more important to grow your plants organically. best of luck on your garden.

Sinclair said...

Thank you for the nice comments! I will definitely be checking out seedsavers...

Hillbilly Willy said...

Natural is better.

Get that Garden going.

10-4 Willy

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

I'll also choose an heirloom over a new variety that is organic. It's so important now to save these older varieties before they disappear.
Here's an excellent link about saving seeds. Have fun : )
http://hvgardening.tripod.com/savingseed.html

n*stitches said...

hhhmmm - very inspiring. We haven't had a garden in a couple of years. I may have to get energized - you make it look so good!