Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Layoffs, Paycuts, and Eliminated School Days, Oh My!

The train wreck called Our Economy continues to derail and heap carnage across the landscape...
On the homefront, we certainly feel the effects. Since the downsizing, we are left without medical insurance. Cobra, you say? HA! No way can people shell out $1,300.00/month to Cobra to continue benefits when unemployment pays 1/2 to 2/3 of prior income. So, today, we paid almost $300.00 for a doctor visit for 2 of us with earaches. Is there a discount for private pay? NO.

The doctor made more from us for the visit than would have been approved and paid by my prior insurance company. How is it that uninsured individuals have to pay MORE than an insurance company would pay?

How about REALLY taking things back to basics? The next time I need to be seen by a doctor, I think I will call up a local practitioner and see if they are willing to barter for services. Perhaps I could offer edibles from my garden, or instruction in homesteading practices? In addition, I do not like being exposed to whoknowswhatscaryailment in the waiting room of a doctor office, so I want a home visit. The way it used to be. The way it ought to be.

What can people in this situation REALLY do? Well, we tried the home remedies for over a week prior to visiting the doctor, so if home remedies don't work, there may be no option but to seek professional medical help for an illness.

But we all can remember to cook at home instead of eating out, purchase nothing that is not absolutely necessary, grow our own vegetables and fruits (even if it is in containers or by hydroponic methods), give others moral support and inspiration whenever possible, and STAY POSITIVE!

Here is what I remember in these times of adversity and trial:
The Bible, Matthew 17:20: I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, "Move from here to there" and it will move.
James Buckham: Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before.
As my mother always says, "Move That Mountain!"
That, and I made cupcakes. Organic white cupcakes. YUM!

2 comments:

Wind said...

becoming self-sustained is really the way to go! If you don't have the time to work towards that goal, do everything that you can to support your local community. We're going to need each other!

~Wind

SLColman said...

The medical system is broken :( For a period when DH and I were first married we had no medical insurance and I became deathly ill with West Nile and had to go to the ER. Not only did I get crappy care but I got told that since I couldn't afford some of the testing that needed to be done that they weren't going to do it and just go on assumptions. A few years later and armed with knowledge and medical insurance I know that they should have done the tests and took better care of me back then; however, even with medical insurance I can't seem to to get the doctors to move and do what they need to do for me. Frustrating!! I am sorry that you had to visit the doctors and that they were so rude about the payments :(
- Stephanie from http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com