Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday, Monday

or Mixed Bag Monday. Winter has reasserted itself around here yesterday and today. We had some snow dusting down last night, and some very large flakes in a flurry this afternoon and evening. And, of course, the temperature has dropped - BRRR!
In other news, I have agreed to feature two artists from Etsy, so I will be doing "Featured Artist Friday" this Friday, the 13th and next Friday, the 20th. I think it is important to support fellow artists and craftspeople, and I think it will be fun to explore their background and inspiration.

Regarding grocery stores and shopping, I was thinking about some advice I was giving to a dieter about food choices yesterday. What I fell asleep thinking about last night was the layout of a typical grocery store, and how I almost never visit many of the internal aisles. Some people are not cognitively aware that grocery stores arrange the basic necessities around the outside perimeter all the way around the store.

When you eliminate packaged foods and unhealthy drinks from your diet, you rarely need to visit any of the aisles. We visit produce first. It is located in one corner of the store (either right or left, almost always toward the front). Next, we visit the bulk area where we get our organically grown dried beans, flour, sugar, nuts, rice, other grains like spelt and millet, raisins, spices, and teas. Coffee beans are in the bulk area. Our next stop is sometimes beer and wine toward the back corner.

Then around the back of the store (still on the outside perimeter) to the other corner is the dairy department for organic butter, eggs (we don't have chickens yet), milk, yogurt, sour cream, and 1/2 & 1/2 for my coffee. Next to that is meat, but we do not purchase meat. On very rare occasion, we will pick up some wild salmon, but as a general rule we are vegetarian.

The only reason we visit any internal aisle is for organic O's cereal, organic cereal fruit bars, organic crackers, and organic 100% apple juice (unfiltered) in the glass gallon container, and organic corn chips. These last items are not necessities, and could also be eliminated from our diet, but they follow my rule of pure, organic ingredients with no preservatives or any indredients we cannot pronounce. So, for now, these are our little indulgences. The necessary items on internal aisles are paper goods such as bathroom tissue, and laundry detergent. Try soapnuts! As for cleaning supplies, we purchase only biodegradable, natural ingredient cleaners, baking soda, vinegar, 20 Mule Team Borax, and fresh lemon.

By avoiding the internal aisles and avoiding all frozen foods, we avoid a whole host of beasties like HFCS, transfats, and MSG that are sure to elevate weight, cause disease, and damage our health. We don't even see things that would cause us to make an unhealthy impulse purchase.

How do you grocery shop?

How often do you visit the internal aisles?

4 comments:

Rumpleteazer said...

Aren't you good with your shopping! We try hard, but sometimes convenience and cost wins over being green and ethical. Must try harder....

Sinclair said...

@Rumpleteazer; yes, the packaged goods can be cost restrictive, but so far, the produce and bulk goods are affordable. They do cost more, yes, but when I consider that the safety of my family is at stake, I figure I would rather skimp elsewhere before I go back to purchasing chemical laden foods.

We also do not use a microwave AT ALL. Once you do it for a while, you don't even miss the frozen foods or microwave-quick food and drink.

Daily Sip Studios said...

Hi, I am new to your blog, but am a fellow Etsy-ian! I try to make a list of everything I need before I go to the store so that I don't end up lurking in the wrong aisles!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Most of the "food" items in the grocery store are inedible, in my opinion. Michael Pollen in his book, In Defense of Food, says that instead of food, we are consuming "edible foodlike substances." edible, in the sense that we can consume it; inedible in the sense that it does not nourish our bodies
I spend most of my time in the produce section.