Thursday, March 26, 2009

Another day of sowing! (Part 1)

Today, we had a little peek of spring again with temperatures around 60. The sun alternated with clouds, but the greenhouse got up to 82 degrees! Some of the started plants that have been hardened off did not like the heat, so we put them in the ground today. We planted sugar snap peas in bed #1 between the sad overwintered broccoli and cauliflower.

The early cabbage went on the other side of the cauliflower. My companion planting guide says the nitrogen-fixing trait of the pea plant is good for cabbage varieties and may assist the growth of broccoli. I have also read that cabbage and broccoli near peas helps prevent root rot/mold in the peas. We'll see. I have never grown brassicas (cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli) before at all, much less attempted companion planting for these.

After my overwinter experiment, there are only a couple of sad little broccoli plants:
Here are the new sugar snap peas:
The remaining sad cauliflower:
The new early cabbage planted today:I am fully expecting the cauliflower and broccoli to perk up and grow big and strong like the rest! I am planning to add some interplanted nasturtium (sacrificial to attract aphids) and dill (to attract beneficial insects), and possibly some fennel and peppermint (to repel insects).

Share with me what you have planted today!

3 comments:

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

I wish I could say that I have planted, but it is still far too early for us here. We cannot plant until Memorial Day, and once that was even too early. But I must say you are giving me the bug :)

SLColman said...

How exciting to see plants in the garden already! We still have snow and below freezing temperatures to deal with here :(

I added you to my blogroll today too :) Love your blog!! Don't want to lose it with all the Entrecard stuff going on!

- Stephanie @ http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com

Splendid Little Stars said...

I planted a few mixed lettuces outside because a friend told me that lettuce does not mind cold or even snow. And, hard to believe, he told me that one can grow lettuce outside even in the winter without a cold frame. This is as long as it is against a stone or brick wall facing South. (I live in zone 6.)