Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bread Heights

Bread Heights is where you will be residing when you follow this simple recipe and make your own bread. Crunchy, crackly, chewy, sweet-tasting, B R E A D. Rustic, round, simple. Yummy with a capital Y. Soul satisfying.

Your arguments: Bread is difficult. Bread is too time consuming. I don't have a dough mixer. I don't have the arm strength to knead it suffiiently. I don't have a good recipe. I have never baked bread.

My answer: This bread is easy. This bread takes very little of your time. You don't need any fancy equipment. You don't have to knead this dough! For a complete tutorial BY A 4-YEAR-OLD and the history of this recipe, go to Steamy Kitchen.com. I had seen this bread floating around Blogdom for a while, but I was a skeptic. Now I have made two loaves, and this week am making 4 more.

This bread requires 3 cups of flour, 1 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp yeast, and 1 1/2 C water. That is all. Nothing else! Your labor is required for five minutes of initial mixing. The dough sits for 12 to 20 hours by itself in time out. Your labor is required for five minutes of folding the edges and placing in bowl on floured towel. The dough sits for 2 hours to nap and rise. Your labor is required for preheating the oven, placing in baking receptacle, placing in oven. Bakes for 30 minutes with lid on (25 minutes in my oven) and 15-20 minutes with lid off. (11 minutes in my oven.) Your labor is required to remove from oven. Easy peasy. My first two loaves were made with organic, unbleached bread flour. I baked mine in a cast iron dutch oven. The loaf yield is 1.5 lbs. We ate the first loaf in about 2.5 hours. Mr. Nature used some of the second loaf to make french toast. It was thick and hearty, and we ate it with pure maple syrup. Another Yummy with a capital Y.

This week, I am making one loaf with organic unbleached bread flour, one with organic whole wheat bread flour, one with organic rye flour, and one with organic spelt flour. Even the gluten intolerant can make bread if using Rye, Amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, or rice flour.

Visit the tutorial link, watch the four-year-old make it, then try it yourself. I will never spend $4.00 or more on a store or bakery loaf of bread EVER AGAIN. This bread is better, fresher, and so satisfying. Cost about $1.00 to $1.50/loaf - - maybe $2.00 if you count the electricity involved.

Enjoy your trip to Bread Heights!

5 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

very cool! I have been making bread often lately, but basically the same way every time. I am interested in other methods. So recently I bought a Cook's magazine with a recipe for Ciabatta and I got a book from the library on artisian bread making. I was inspired by a visit to a very special bakery (which I blogged about in February). But reading is as far as it's gone.
I will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

CraftyDragon said...

Bookmarked to try it out later! Thanks!

SLColman said...

That looks fantastic! If you happen to find a great gluten free bread recipe toss it my way! Still looking :(

Sinclair said...

@SLColman: Just use this recipe, but use a gluten free flour such as amaranth, quinoa, rice, etc... Also, you can do a search for gluten free bread recipes online- there are a growing number of these recipes.

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

I used to think bread making was time consuming and alot of trouble too. Then I married a country boy and started making bread. There are no words to describe the smell that fills the house when one is making bread.