Monday, March 23, 2009

Dear Winter,

The buds on my new peach tree are very delicate. They really cannot withstand your prolonged assault with the wind and freezing cold. I believe you have committed fraud by proceeding in a manner which led them to believe that you had retreated, thus coercing them into putting out said buds, only to reassert yourself in such a callous manner.

In addition, the seedlings in the greenhouse are relying on the sun's warmth to shine on said greenhouse so that it may be converted to energy that they can use to grow. You are robbing them of this warmth by leaving your clouds strewn about the sky in this haphazard manner.

The flowers in the yard are suffering under your pelting hail and driving wind. The cushions for our outdoor furniture are collecting your moisture and have had to be relocated indoors again before they produce mold. The baby chicks rely on the promise that was given them at birth so they may soon be safely relocated outdoors to their own coop. The lettuce sown outdoors has been unable to emerge from the soil due to your opressive temperatures.

The calendar says that it is no longer your turn. It is monumentally unfair for you to bully spring in such a manner when you seasons are all supposed to work together and play nicely. I realize that you have been having grand fun these last few months, and it is never fun to be put to bed, but to bed you must go. Now.

Until next time, sleep well.

Sinclair

10 comments:

Small Footprints said...

Excellent! I believe this could become a petition letter ... I'll sign (I wonder how many signatures you could get?).

This was great fun! :)

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Splendid Little Stars said...

That's telling 'em!

Rose Works Jewelry said...

This is so funny! Great writing :)

HomeMadeOriginals said...

Snowing here again...I'm with you about it not being winter's turn anymore.

TiLT said...

love it!

NICO Designs said...

What a great letter! In this part of Texas we have not any snow but I am tired of the 30-40 degree temps and the teasing nature of Mother Nature. Warm up, will you?

I agree with small footprints--where do I sign?

Splendid Little Stars said...

I love this so much, I've been posting about it in a couple etsy forums.

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Way to go Nature! I wish it would work here; as I type it is 10am and34, so it's not over here :)

Sinclair said...

@all: Thank you for your kind and supportive comments. I think we might really have to print it out and get the signatures going...old man winter is awfully stubborn!!

SLColman said...

Amen! I am so ready for this snow to go away and not come back... Too bad that doesn't happen just yet in Wyoming :(

-Stephanie @ http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com