Tuesday, March 31, 2009

For lack of a Monday post

Almost Silent Sunday was followed by a truly Silent Monday. Sorry. Mondays are discouraging to me lately with the ever-present lack of income prospects knocking at my door. I am amazed that after 2.5 months, I have been unable to procure new employment. I think the state in which I live has reached 13% unemployment right now. I am also feeling betrayed by the "system." I was told when growing up that if one stayed well-rounded and got a college education, that one would always be able to procure a good income and take care of one's family. I am finding that not so.

Amilia learned about "April Fool's Day" today (Monday). For the rest of the evening and on up through bedtime, she was making up all kinds of April Fool's statements. It ended in a fit of tears when I put her to bed, told her that it was not for another two days, and it was time for no more words. Who is the sandman? Does he really put sand in your eyes? Does he come every day? If so, then why am I still awake? Why can't I see him? Why hasn't he gotten here yet? Is he a faerie? Does he wear green? FINALLY, the slow, quiet, rhythmic breathing of one who has reached slumber. The sandman, indeed, had arrived.

2 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

I, too, find it difficult to surrender to the sandman. I remember having some of those very questions about this mysterious man when I was a child.

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

You will miss all those questions one day and it will seem like just yesterday when you reminisce on all the childhood inquisitions. Enjoy them now; they grow up far too fast :)