Saturday, March 28, 2009

Juice for health and taste

I don't know how many of you will raise your hands when asked if you like vegetables, but I think it would be impossible for you to say you disliked this juice (unless you are allergic to one of the ingredients). If you have been following me for very long, you might have read that I am not a Kitchen Diva or Domestic Goddess in any realm of reality. Luckily, Mr. Nature loves quality food, and enjoys preparing it for his family. The other day, he made some really good juice.
The juice shown in this photo is made with our Jack LaLanne Power Juicer. I really like it, but OH HOW I LONG FOR A VITAMIX! To make this juice, you need:

  • 3 apples

  • 2 stalks of celery

  • 2 large leaves of kale

  • 1/4 beet
to yield 12 ounces. This gives us a 6oz. serving each, or a 4oz. serving each if Amilia shares. Of course, just add more ingredients for larger yield! The beet gives it this color, and makes it look like you are drinking a wee dram of Guinness.
We would like to juice daily, but we are not yet in that sort of routine. We do, however, enjoy fresh juice made at home as often as possible. I also really like to just eat fresh beet slices as a snack. They are sweet and slightly mineral tasting (okay dirt-tasting, but I ate dirt as a kid, so it's like a memory of childhood for me) and crunchy like a carrot. The dirt thing should not put you off until AFTER you have tried them. And only then if you honestly think it overrides the sweet flavor and health benefit. They are SOOOOOO good for you. The caveat when partaking of beets is that you must remember the next day that you have eaten them. Otherwise, you will be alarmed at elimination time. Sorry, but you had to know!
Today we had freshly squeezed orangeandgrapefruit juice for breakfast.
Not much beats the depthofyourbeing satisfaction derived from making and drinking fresh juice.
Ladies and Gentlement, start your juicers!

3 comments:

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Oh we have a Jack Lalanne juicer too! and it makes the best smoothie juices I've ever had. It was well worth the $$$, and is Mr. Clay's only job in the kitchen :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

I may just have to pull my juicer out of hiding. I love carrot and beet juice. (I like golden beets, too, in salad or soup.)

SLColman said...

I love beets! DH hates them though :(

I would love to have a juicer but just can't afford the expense of purchasing one right now :(

- Stephanie @ http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com