Friday, March 27, 2009

....Part 2

Yesterday, there was more planting than I could safely fit into one post. So, here is the rest of the story. I have planted some shelling peas directly outdoors in a planter box on the front deck. As I mentioned in an earlier post, they have yet to poke through the surface. But I also started some indoors in a wet paper towel sealed in a ziplock. (I know, I hate plastic and ziplock, but it is awfully good at holding moisture and warmth for seedlings!)

I had them in the window box over the kitchen sink for about 10 days, and had almost forgotten them. Mr. Nature asked me what the scary looking baggie was doing in the window box. OH YES! Those are my peas! So, I unwrapped them, and this is what I found:
10 beautiful little sprouts!

I planted them in those pots on the deck I had cleared out and shown you in a post last week...

The peas are planted in the back and will climb the trellis. In front, I have placed some lettuces and coriander (cilantro). I can't wait for that yummy salad!

In additon, I know I said it would not be until next week, but Chick, Chick, and Chick went on their first adventure today. They spent about three hours outside in a cage in the warmth of the sun under the apple tree. They had a wonderful time, and are under the warming lamp in the greenhouse tonight. I hope they stay warm enough! I made them a nesting box in the cage where they all are cuddling together.


Last but not least, upcoming posts:

  1. We began a worm bin today with 100 red wigglers and earthworms.
  2. I made the yummiest loaf of bread today that I have ever eaten!
  3. The freshest and tastiest juice is the juice you make yourself...

4 comments:

gardenerprogress/Catherine said...

It looks like you've been busy there. I like the planters you have for your peas. I've thought about trying that before, but never have.
Your chicks are very cute! Have you already got the coop, or will you be building one. I'd love to have them, but not enough room here.

Sinclair said...

I have never grown vegetables in planter boxes either, so this is an experiment. We will be building a small coop very soon!

SLColman said...

Those boxes look fantastic!! I can't wait to hear about how yummy that salad you grow there turns out to be :)

- Stephanie @ http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com

Splendid Little Stars said...

hoping to hear about your worm bin and bread!