Saturday, March 7, 2009

SiMpLiFy! (You don't know until you try it!)

This lovely ceramic container was found by yours truly
at the Goodwill store on Wednesday
for 99 cents - YAY!
It is exactly the shape and size for which I was looking.
What is in this lovely little container?
My deoderant, of course!
Of what is my deoderant made?
2 TBSP corn starch and 1 TBSP baking soda.
A cotton ball lives in there for ease of application.
I have been attempting to leave behind the harmful deoderant for some time. I gave up Antiperspirant several years ago because antiperspirant contains ALUMINUM. Aluminum is a kown neurotoxin, and what lives in the pit of your arm under the skin? LYMPH NODES. What is skin? The largest organ of the body. It is porous. It absorbs what we put on it. How do you think a pain patch works? Well, not just pain medicine crosses the skin barrier. EVERYTHING that touches your skin can be absorbed. And for years I slathered my skin near sensitive lymph nodes with poison. Cool.
So, I switched to simply deoderant. But do you know what THAT has in it? Triclosan. What is triclosan? Well, it's a chemical. EPA registered as a pesticide. An antibacterial/antifungal agent. A poison. And I have been slathering it on my skin near those sensitive lymph nodes for another several years. NO MORE!
I tried Tom's of Maine. Didn't work. The crystal. Didn't work for me, and it hurt to put on. Random Brands of natural deoderant...no success. Then I read that some people were making their own by using cornstarch and baking soda.
EUREKA!
Not only does it work, it is SOOOOOO much less expensive, and I don't have wasted packaging to throw away, and I get to eliminate some more plastic from my life. The baking soda by itself is too gritty, so will cause irritation. The corn starch is soft and acts as a carrier. The baking soda stops odor and helps with wetness. Do not substitute talc or talcum powder for the corn starch! It is a caner causing carcinogen.
Now, baking soda and cornstarch are white, so
I don't know what happens in summer when it
is time to wear the tanks and little black dress.
But I will figure that out when the time comes.
NO MORE POISON UNDER MY ARMS!
25 YEARS IS QUITE LONG ENOUGH.
I encourage you to try it. Sam I Am says
try it, try it. You won't know until you've tried.

3 comments:

SLColman said...

This is a great idea! I am going to have to look into trying this out :)
- Stephanie at http://fromhuskiestohusbands.today.com

Splendid Little Stars said...

You always have something enlightening and fascinating to say. We will have to try your recipe in our household. Did you think about using clay? That might get clumpy though.
love that great Goodwill find.

Sinclair said...

Thank you for your comments, and for giving me an ongoing reason to continue posting!