Sunday, March 15, 2009

Smooth Away Product Review

I have seen a few blog reviews of this product called Smooth Away, and I was intrigued because it would be great to use a product with NO chemicals. When I was approached to try the product and then blog about it, it gave me a good (and free) opportunity to give it a try. I received it a few days ago, and have completed three practice sessions. I am still not finished with the total hair removal area. However, the parts that are finished are very smooth!

The product arrives in a small cardboard box. Inside, there is a plastic holder shaped much like a checkbook holder except larger. The large and small "paddle" applicators are on one side, and the "removal pads" (sandpaper) are on the other side. The remover pads, according to the Smooth Away site, is a pad covered with superfine crystals. It is like the finest grain nail buffer sandpaper you could imagine. They are sticky on the back side so they will adhere to the plastic paddle holder.

I used a large one on leg #1on the first day, and I was reminded of WAX ON, WAX OFF, WAX ON, WAX OFF from Karate Kid. The directions tell you NOT to move in a side-to-side or up-and-down motion, but to circle 3x clockwise, and then 3x counter clockwise. DO NOT press too hard. Well, I found that I had to do this 3x3 thing MANY times to get the whole area clear. I had to make certain to move around and not do too many times in one spot over and over because skin abrasion could occur. I found that it also leaves little hairs all over, the same as when you get a haircut, so I had to wash the leg afterward. I worked a little more on the same leg today, but I have yet to begin leg #2. I have spent about 30 minutes total on one leg. It is not a quick process.

I tried the little paddle and a little piece of sandpaper on my face (the model is shown using it on her upper lip to remove those fine little hairs). Well, the fine little hairs are gone, but I had redness and itchiness on my lip for about 3 hours after. It says to use a cotton ball with milk on it to relieve redness. You should still plan to do this in the evening when you will be in the house all night so you can wait out the redness. It is certainly better than using a chemical depilatory cream. On the lip, it was a very quick process.

The kit came also with a 4 oz. tube of "Hair Inhibitor Moisturizer" that is supposed to slow hair regrowth. I have not even removed the plastic wrap from this tube because I do not intend to put any of it on my skin. Ingredients are: Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyeride, Glycerin, Sorbitan Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Cetyl Alcohol, Dihydromyricetin, Urea, Lactic Acid, PEG-12, Glyceryl Distearate, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

I do not think that this product will replace shaving for me, but I do like the way it makes my legs feel after use. It exfoliates dead skin cells at the same time it is wiping away hair, so my legs actually feel smoother than they ever have from shaving. That is a plus! The drawback is that you have to have a lot of time to use it, and you have to work in sections so you don't abrade the skin. I am glad I tried it, and might consider refill sandpaper if the price is right. I think $14.99 is a bit high for the initial cost of one kit, but they are offering two for that price right now on the website.

I think this one is only going to be popular with super patient individuals. And I stand by my refusal to ever try the Hair Inhibitor Moisturizer. I know, Smooth Away will not be knocking down my door to become their next spokesmodel. But I would have to turn them down anyway because I could not advocate the moisturizer.

I think I could give the applicator pads a B- or a C+; I'm on the fence.

4 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Always wondered about that product; thank you for a thorough review! I guess the shaver and Nair will remain my constant companions :o(
Nancy

Splendid Little Stars said...

interesting product. sounds like it would become a part-time job to use it. And I'm with you. I would never put that cream on my body. scary.

Nancy said...

Thank you so much for the review. I've been debating whether or not to try it. Fortunately it wouldn't take too long for me to use it as there are about 5 hairs on each leg and the pits, too. Did you try it underarm? I don't need it on my face yet. Well, I do, but it's still blond, so I'm okay so far, LOL! I don't blame you for not using the creme. Thanks again.

Sarah said...

I've been curious about this product, too. A friend at work loves it, but I'm one of those anti-trend skeptics. However, after your review, I'm on the fence. I might give it a try.

I prefer sugaring, since it is like waxing but friendlier to the body and environment. We have some great organic ones here in Seattle, but the drawback is that it's expensive--and painful.