Monday, April 20, 2009

Free Range Training

(Please also visit my Sunday Housekeeping Post and give me your feedback...)
Yesterday, we took the chicks out for their first ever free range lesson. They are now big enough that we will be letting them out daily, weather permitting. Today is day 3 of warmth and unobstructed sun. Yesterday, the thermometer topped 80 degrees and I was able to work outside in a tank top!We spent a little time holding the chicks as well because they have always been so skittish around us. We need to be able to retrieve them easily when they are out free. They were surprisingly friendly while being held.
This one was happy to eat a bug directly off Mr. Nature's finger. They are very accurate in sighting and pecking! We are beginning to be able to see distinguishable differences in them that will allow us to name them real names soon. So far, Big Comb is the temporary name for the one I am holding in photo 2 above. Blondie is the (maybe temporary) name for the bug eater because she has a section of feathers on her tail that are lighter than both other chick's feathers. The third one is still just Chick for now.So far, they have just been out with their cage under the apple tree. Today, we will take them out and put the cage closer to the garden while we work the beds. At night, we are still keeping them in their cage in the greenhouse. I will keep you posted on the building of the (very modest and humble) coop.

Dreaming of future eggs and chicks...

6 comments:

Grandma Betty said...

Your chicks are sooo beautiful! We have 18 plus one Rooster and they are so much fun, plus lots of eggs!

You will enjoy them so much. Our free range over about one acre and do very well.

blog said...

Very cool! I can't wait to see how they grow.

Nilz said...

Hi! This is a beautiful farm house, hope to see the Chics growing up soon. Really cute.

Wind said...

I just started my new adventure in Chicken raising as well! My chicks were 6 weeks old yesterday. Do you happen to know if I need to separate the roosters from the hens in order to have eggs? Seems like a simple question, I know, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...thanks
Wind

Wind said...

At what age should they be separated? I so hope I'm not too late...lol

Wind said...

Thanks so much~ :)