Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Word Wednesday: Mime/MIME

High School Drama 101 = some mime training. Mr. Nature and I somehow (while discussing how disturbing are clowns) stumbled onto the subject of mimes today, and the fact that we both know how to escape from an imaginary box, thanks to High School Drama. However, of the two of us, only I know how to pull an imaginary rope. Two points for the girls' side!

Also, out of my memory files popped the long forgotten factoid that I went as a mime for Halloween one year. My mom was very handy with the face paint, so I got to be the kind with a black star and teardrop on one eye. These days, that would make me a gang member who has passed the test by killing someone, right? What a difference a couple of decades makes! I will have to see if I can dig up a photo.

So, I thought I would share the definition of mime today, but I was surprised when my initial search turned up more than imaginary boxes or ropes. From YourDictionary.com, I found the definition I had expected to find:

mime definition

mime (mīm)

noun

  1. an ancient Greek or Roman farce, in which people and events were mimicked and burlesqued
  2. the representation of an action, character, mood, etc. by means of gestures and actions rather than words
  3. an actor who performs in mimes; specif., a mimic or pantomimist
But my Google search included a definition from Webopedia.com (never heard of it until today) as follows:

MIME definition:
Short for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions, a specification for formatting non-ASCII messages so that they can be sent over the Internet. Many e-mail clients now support MIME, which enables them to send and receive graphics, audio, and video files via the Internet mail ystem. In addition, MIME supports messages in character sets other than ASCII.

There are many predefined MIME types, such as GIF graphics files and PostScript files. It is also possible to define your own MIME types.

In addition to e-mail applications, Web browsers also support various MIME types. This enables the browswer to display or output files that are not in HTML format.

MIME was defined in 1992 by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). A new version, called S/MIME, supports encrypted messages.

Notice how both definitions are written in the English language, but one is understandable and one appears to be in another language? (How ironic if I said definition #2 was Greek to me!) Sheesh! Maybe I can help: Many MIME types (you know, like young/old/male/female/mentally balanced/mentally unbalanced/homeless/hobo). GIF graphics files (those things you send as presents in forward emails). PostScript files (those afterthoughts you tack on at the end with x's and o's and hearts...but where are the PostScriptScript ones?). HTML (I think this is text speak for How That Makes me Laugh, but then it should be HTMML.) What? I am all wrong? Well, I am getting my ASCII out of here before I do any more damage then.

Since I do not currently possess a mime photo of any kind, I used a photo from:
http://www.classesandcareers.com/education/wp-content/uploads/image/Mime.jpg.I will change that if/when I am able to obtain my own mime photo. Now, maybe we have all learned something today. No, I cannot yet upload a tutorial on this subject, but YouTube can help you out with that, if you are interested.


What is your word for today?

1 comment:

Splendid Little Stars said...

meld
Definition: blend, bring together
Antonyms: divide, separate
________
Definition: mix together different elements
Synonyms: blend, flux, mix, conflate, commingle, immix, fuse, coalesce, combine, merge
_________
Meld may refer to one of the following:

To merge or blend two things into one.
Meld (software), a computer program for viewing the differences between files.
Model for End-Stage Liver Disease score.
In card games, a meld is a set of matching cards.
In Star Trek parlance, meld is short for the Vulcan mind meld.
Meld (Voyager episode), episode in Star Trek: Voyager
Meld was the name of a British Rail Class 55, named after a racehorse.
Meld (horse), a thoroughbred racehorse.
Meld (comics), a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics Universe.