Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chicken update

Big Daddy, whom we thought might be a male chick, is actually Big Mamma. We think. This particular chicken has always been bigger, taller, and quicker to develop than the other two. The comb is bigger and more red also. Beyond that, I don't know how to check down below in their vent area. But, it seems we have three hens after all. We weren't sure if the chicks we purchased were a straight run (males and females all together) or if they were all female.

Now, Big Mamma has been limping for almost a week. We weren't sure if this was due to some chicken illness, or if she was hurt. They are not vaccinated against Marek's Disease, which I find is a common chicken ailment, but they are kept clean and have not been around any other chickens from which to contract such illness.

Today, it appeared that she is getting better and the limp is much less pronounced. This is a good sign that it was an injury instead of illness. Yay! Since this is my first experience with chicken ownership, I am learning as I go. Both sets of my grandparents kept chickens at various times, and they never vaccinated for anything, nor did they have any chicken illness in their coops. I am hoping to have the same success.

The chickens care nothing for these thoughts of mine.
They just want to nestle in the tall grass and
eat bugs from the wild flowers.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Mystery among the chickens.....
What a life--lolling among the grass and wildflowers eating succulent bugs.

Duni said...

They've really grown! Your grass looks lush too!

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

With a chick chick here and a chick chick there... :)
I'm glad everything is going well for you

Nancy said...

The chickens may not care about your words, but I do! I have always enjoyed chickens so I'm having them via your words!!
Nancy

Deb G said...

The chicks are so much fun, aren't they? Mine are settling into the coop well, didn't have to shove (err...place them) in the coop last night. They finally went in on their own.