Friday, May 29, 2009

Garden Update

I have been remiss in my gardening duties, having been attending to sewing and organizing and working on small projects. Since it is a family venture, Mr. Nature has been lovingly tending and watering in my absence. His favorite part is the watering anyway. Here are the grapevines:My favorite part is planting and harvesting. However, I am behind on seeding the warm weather crops by over two weeks, and may purchase a few seedlings for some of these. We share weeding, but he has been doing all of that, too, lately.

Courtesy of his eye behind the lens, I have some photos to share with you. The broccoli:
The cabbage:The peas:The dill:The kale (with chickens in the background, taking care of those unwanted garden pests):And a tomato that is somewhat behind due to some earlier lasting cold temperatures and a high clay content in the soil where they are planted:
The other plants are doing well also, but many are still so small that they are not fun to photograph. This is our first attempt to grow more than four types of plant, so it is still a learning process every day. We are enjoying the time spent, and have eaten lettuce, asparagus, coriander, and onions from the garden already this season.

Have a lovely Friday!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Everything looks like you can eat it right in the garden patch. I love snapping broccoli off and popping it into my mouth. I guess you should look for broccoli worms, they come off well in the sink with a little salt in the water. Juat soak the heads. Cheers

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

We barely planted out garden this past week. Our growing season here is very short...only from June thru Sept/Oct or whenever the first couple of freezes kill everything off. Your garden looks lovely

peacefulacres said...

Everything looks lovely! I just planted bare root grape vines this spring and they are growing nicely. I guess maybe fruit next year. My tomatoes are very tall but not very full....we'll see what happens. We've had sooooo much rain!
Diane