Friday, May 22, 2009

My chores

I have been a busy bee this week, and have been just as busily battling wasps. I have at least 8 varieties of bee and wasp and stingy thing around here, and they are awfully testy when you get into their space!

Remember this?Now it looks like this:
Just a little more weeding to go there, and that space will be back to tip-top. And those terraces I was taking back?
Almost there! And even though I had to fight all afternoon with the wasps and spiders, I was rewarded with the visits of several beautifully colored humming birds. There were three chasing each other at the end of the evening. One with a beautiful red throat, one with a bright green back and wings, and the more pale beige one I actually managed to capture in a less than crisp photo.Perhaps tomorrow I will be quicker on the draw, and will capture the others. What an interesting noise they make as they flutter by! The feeder is filled with sugar water I make here at home. I think it is better than the commercially produced liquid that contains artificial colors and other additives.

It is easy to make. Just use a saucepan, pour in 4 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar and boil for 10 minutes. Let it cool, and then fill your feeders. Once the hummingbirds know it is there, they will tell their friends, and your house will be a regular feeding stop.

Photobucket
(visit my sister blog, Sharing Our Gifts, to see DIY doll houses)

5 comments:

Lenox Knits said...

Wow. You have been a busy bee, pun intended! You are creating such a lovely retreat. I hope the pests stay away and let you enjoy it. I've been stung by my share of wasps and it's no fun.

Alpaca Granny said...

I use the same humming bird recipe.
Maple

Duni said...

You certainly have been busy! Your terrace looks amazing. We finally have the sun out today. We have planted some miniature fruit trees (cherry and brambleberry).

have a great weekend and keep away from those wasps!

SLColman said...

You have been busy and things are looking wonderful!! How exciting :)

Deb G said...

Looks great! You've reminded me that I want to get hummingbird feeders up.