Monday, May 18, 2009

No GMO Challenge Progress

Time again for the No GMO Challenge Progress update.

I am certain I could even do better. I don't eat out a lot, and when I do, I usually choose one of the great vegan or health food restaurants nearby. But sometimes we go to the "breakfast place." That translates to traditional diner type fare, such as you would find at Mel's. You know, omelettes, scrambles, 'cakes (pan or hot, your choice), burgers, fries, all that not-so-good-for-you stuff that resembles food but has little or no real food value.

Today was one of those days. Even there, we try to make the best choices we can make, such as remembering to bring our own maple syrup because the syrup there most likely has HFCS and other unsavories. I choose a veggie burger instead of meat. Except, I realized, after ordering, that I probably just met another instance where I was about to consume GMO derived ingredients. "What kind of vegetarian patty do you serve here?" I had to ask. Much like the crust at the pizza parlor, I had never explored far enough to get that information. I am certain it is because I didn't want to know.

I WANT to cling to the dream. I WANT it to be true that I can just buy food from a grocery store or a restaurant and it IS what it claims to be. Corn is just corn, sweeteners are just raw sugar or raw honey, soy is just soy, and none of it has any chemical name(s) or was a product of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. I WANT to live the Apple Pie and Ice Cream at the diner American Dream.

I don't want to be in this place where I KNOW that the food at that restaurant is NOT what it appears, and that it contains all manner of things that are foreign to our bodies. Except I DO want to know. And what I REALLY REALLY want is for producers of food to care enough to stop assaulting our food, stop creating faux food ingredients in laboratories, stop filling our foods with elements that are not recognized by our bodies on a cellular level.

Because I do know, and it means that pretty soon (now?) I will most likely have to also stop my occasional enjoyable jaunt to the "breakfast place" because it does not serve organic and non-GMO menu items. We should all know. We should all want to know. Even though knowing carries a burden. Of helping others to know. And telling our minds and stomachs to only want PURE, REAL, UNALTERED, 100 % ORGANIC & NATURAL (as in: foods that are grown completely as if occurring in a natural environment with minimal human intervention) foods that were not processed or created in a laboratory.

If we all knew, and we all demanded better with our consumer dollars, there would be no Dr. Frankenstein food at the diner (because there would be none anywhere) and we could all meet there for milkshakes around the jukebox.

So, what was it that I ate today? It was GardenBurger and it contained the following ingredients:
VEGETABLES (BUTTON MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, CRIMINI MUSHROOMS, PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS), COOKED BROWN RICE (BROWN RICE, WATER), ROLLED OATS, MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), WATER, BULGUR WITH WATER FOR HYDRATION, PARSLEY, CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, CULTURES, ANNATTO FOR COLOR), CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM, SALT, MUSHROOM EXTRACT, GARLIC POWDER, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES, CITRIC ACID, MALTED BARLEY, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR, WHEY, DEHYDRATED ONION, ANNATTO FOR COLOR, DEHYDRATED MUSHROOMS, GUAR GUM, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, TURMERIC FOR COLOR, SOY LECITHIN.

I can no longer eat [commercially marketed] veggie burgers at the Breakfast Place anywhere. I have outlined the ingredients I find most objectionable in orange and red. Where's the GMO connection? The soy lecithin, highlighted in red. Sadly, even many organic products contain soy lecithin that may be/probably is of GMO origin. It's that nasty little 95% organic rule. So, today I bought all the right things at the market, and I read all ingredient lists at the market. But on my way to the market, I ate GMOs at a restaurant. Until we all speak loudly on this subject, it is likely that we will all continue to encounter them at almost every restaurant we visit. And, crazy new overbroad food legislation is NOT the answer.

Let's all YELL very loudly to remedy this problem.
Photobucket

No comments: