Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On with the birds...

I guess I am continuing the bird theme today, since my newest project is embroidery and my subject is - you guessed it - a bird. I have been meaning to get back into practice with needlepoint, but have been lazy about getting out the tools of the trade. Yesterday, I grabbed my trustyMcCall's Needlework Treasury and dug through 5 craft boxes in the garage for my hoops and fabric and got to work! I chose a simple white cotton weave fabric scrap and a simple bird pattern. I traced the pattern directly onto my fabric with a plain ol' #2 pencil. I chose to change it up a teeny bit from the directions to make it my own, and to use my own color scheme. I apologize for the next photo, as it was taken indoors in low light.This pattern is actually meant to be a Christmas ornament. I am not sure what my final creation will be, but I am not yet ready to create Christmas ornaments! I am considering small pillow, pincushion, or perhaps a small standing statuary type somethingorother.I have reached this point, but am not yet finished with adornments. The pattern calls for sequins, and I may use some, but I am planning to do some bead attachments as well. I am toying with the idea of incorporating found scrap objects and have something "in" his beak.

Stay tuned to see the final product!

5 comments:

debg said...

Oh that's sweet! I really like it.

Splendid Little Stars said...

The bird is turning out very well! I like the idea of something in its beak. Can't wait to see the final project!

Beeswax said...

Okay, seriously, I am not normally into all things crafty, but that is really darling. I love it. Makes me want to make my own.

Sweetwater Designs said...

Looks fabulous so far..can't wait to see the end result!

Nancy said...

Have you noticed that there are no prestamped embroidery items anymore? Only cross-stitch. I have looked and looked and ended up buying fabric and making my own with transfers. And I told you about the dish towels. I really like the bird! It has a bit more to it than the plain transfers.