Friday, May 8, 2009

The Urban Chicken

This will be short today (some of you are saying YAY! finally a short post) because I am off to look at lumber for my chicken coop. We have some around here already, and now we are looking at what more we need to purchase to make it work.

While we were in town the other day, we drove through a neighborhood that was new to me, and saw an almost finished chicken coop in a regular city neighborhood corner lot front yard. It looked pretty simple, yet very adequate. It was raining, so the photo is waterspotted - I wasn't going to get OUT to take the photo. But I did send Mr. Nature to the front door to ask the specs and see if the person had any advice. Then I took a second photo from inside the car while he held the door open.

I am now looking at making mine similar to this one:
More city folks are gettin' in on the
benefits of chicken ownership!

4 comments:

Flight Fancy said...

I dont have chickens myself, but my neighbor does. I buy my eggs from her now. Fresh eggs are so much better.

debg said...

I've got to get moving on my chicken coop too. The girls are getting restless!

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

I wish we could have chickens. *sigh*
I live a better country life vicariously through you :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

There is a debate going on round about the neighborhoods I live nearby as to whether chickens should be considered "pets" or "livestock." Pets can be kept, livestock, not so.