Thursday, June 11, 2009

Beet Juice Dye

I experimented with beet juice for dyeing fabric the other day. I have tried coffee, which has its own acidity and does not need a mordant. Vegetable colors do need a color fixative, so I tried this one with vinegar, using a cold dye method. The white strip is the color my fabric was before dyeing. The pinkish strip is the color after dyeing. I have more experimenting to do, since this is only my second attempt. I am using strips and bits of fabric to do this because I have small project thoughts for these after dyeing.

Do you dye fabric? What do you use as a mordant?
I want to keep it natural and non-toxic.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Deb G said...

I haven't tried beets yet. I've read that it isn't very color fast, even with a mordant.

Duni said...

I haven't tried dyeing before - but your sample looks great! Very 'antiquey'.
I wonder what you come up with with your scraps. Can't wait :)

Lori at Jarvis House said...

I do not know anything about dying fabric, except for the fact that natural fibers like cotton, wool, and silk take dyes very well. You are very brave and it will be interesting to read about your findings.