Monday, June 8, 2009

Garden Bounty

The best part of working a garden is, of course, EATING something from that garden. Today (Sunday), we did a good amount of gardening and other needful yard duties. I harvested some of the bounty from the garden while I was there. We took over two pounds of food up to the kitchen for dinner.There was a 1 lb, 2oz head of cabbage, 6 oz. kale, 6 oz. broccoli, a 3 oz. bunch of Dukat dill, and 5 oz. of peas. The kale was sauteed in a pan with the onions I picked yesterday, the cabbage was turned into coleslaw, the broccoli and dill went into a no-pastry egg tart, and the peas will be saved for later. Delicious!

For the egg tart, I simply placed 5 eggs in a bowl, mixed in 1/2 cup milk, and added the chopped broccoli and dill. Placed in a round Pyrex pie dish. Baked at 350 for 20 minutes. Added grated Monterey Jack cheese on top and baked for 10 more minutes. Ready to eat...

In addition, I separated out almost 30 aloe vera plants from the 10 I had last year. Those ten began from ONE that I moved from California with me last year. I had more in CA, but could not fit ALL my plants in the moving van. I had to be choosy, so did not bring duplicates. I have about 12 more to separate out, and then we might have to have a plant sale. I planted 20 of them in plastic greenhouse starter pots so they can easily go to new homes. Maybe I will trade them for garden vegetables that I am not now growing?

Have you harvested any of your items yet?

Photobucket

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Here in New England most gardens are still a few weeks away from the first harvests but the plants a re blooming and everything is green.
Thanks for posting the recipe. Easy is always a winner.

*Stephanie* said...

That is awesome you have so much to harvest! It is so rewarding when nature provides such a bountiful feast!
Where do you get your seeds? Did you start out buying them from a specialty place?