Friday, June 26, 2009

Log Cabin Recipe

While I enjoyed my trip to the mill, and am enjoying my journey toward self sufficient homesteading, I am glad that it is right now a choice rather than a complete necessity. I do enjoy many "modern" conveniences and resources that my ancestors could not have even dreamed of, and I do appreciate them. If we all could appreciate them, but still tread lightly and not over-indulge and harbor feelings of self-entitlement, we could make a difference and preserve resources for future generations.

According to the pioneer cookbook, Log Cabin Cooking: "imagine yourself in 1835...saying goodbye to friends and family...loading up the wagon for adventure into parts unknown; hoping to outrun Cholera, food shortages...your survival will depend on hard work and resourcefulnes."

It does not sound as lovely as admiring my lettuce from my fluffy porch swing cushions or making lavender sachets to freshen my laundry in the electric dryer. But there are some recipes in this little book that I can make use of today, with the added flair of modern lovely.

Dandelion Salad

Young dandelion greens (picked before the plant flowers) , rinsed and chilled. Be sure they're herbicide and pesticide free. Lettuce, washed and torn Bacon, cooked and crumbled (I would omit this ingredient, as I do not eat pork)
(I would add nuts and raisins instead)
Egg, boiled and sliced Grated Swiss cheese Edible flowers in season sprinkled on top (violets, pansies, nasturtiums, calendula)

Toss salad with salt, pepper, and vinaigrette dressing. Try raspberry vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Now, how is that for using those pesky dandelions? Eaten out of doors on a sunny day in patio shade with a nice, cold glass of sun tea would be just right.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Deb G said...

I've been feeding every dandelion I can find to the chickens. They love them.