Friday, June 19, 2009

Remembering

It was 10 years ago today that I was awakened by the 5:30 am phone call that said my father had given up his fight in this mortal realm. He had inched out his last year day by agonizing day, as cancer cells ruthlessly multiplied themselves to obliterate him. He almost made it to one last Father's Day. He was 52.

Of course, I think of him at other times, and sometimes he visits my dreams. But each year when Father's Day comes around, I remember that last card that I didn't give. And think it would be nice to have him to call and wish a Happy Father's Day. Growing up, I never thought I would lose a parent before I was 30 years old. Certainly not to illness. But illness does not always overlook the young.

He has missed much. Births, deaths, triumphs, defeats, and graduations. My son barely remembers him, and my daughter came along 5 years after his death. I went looking for a photo of him, and the only one I could find was this one that was taken while camping one year. His beard was scruffy, and we called him Grizzly Adams. He used to tell us about wrestling bears in the night while we slept - and we believed he could! People were sometimes fearful or put off by his look, but he was a goodhearted and jovial man. He had his faults, as we all do, but lack of love or shirking parental duty were not among them.

This Father's Day weekend, I am using my blog to wish him a Happy Father's Day. For those of you who still have fathers living, give them your appreciation and mend any rifts while you have time. For those of you remembering a father on this weekend, I wish you contentment in the memory.

Photobucket

7 comments:

teri said...

My heart goes out to you on this Father's Day Weekend.
I miss my father too, so let's remember the good and celebrate their lives by being the best we can be!
Sending you a big smile!
teri

Nancy said...

I love your post. My dad passed away at the age of 59, cancer. I was 38 yrs. old. I dream about him, too! I also love the photo of your father. I have a favorite of mine and I think I'll post it on my blahg. Snapshots are so much more meaningful than the posed and polite! Their spirit shines out.
~nancy~

Small Footprints said...

I think your Dad would be so proud of this post ... and you! It was a lovely tribute ... and a wonderful reminder to all of us to remember our fathers. And for those who are lucky enough to still have their fathers with them ... I hope this post will serve as a reminder to tell them how much they are loved and appreciated.

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Duni said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sinclair. This is a very loving post, and a wonderful dedication to your dad.

take care,

Duni

coocoos7 said...

Hi Sinclair,

I'm Kristi's mom from French-Word-A-Day. I was so touched by your post this morning - I immediately thought about how LOVE keeps us connected to our lost loved ones. This is one of the true fruits of LOVE, to experience the connection of by loving memories. Thank you for opening my connection to my wonderful father.

XOXO

JULES

coocoos7 said...

Hi Sinclair,

I'm Kristi's mom from French-Word-A-Day. I was so touched by your post this morning - I immediately thought about how LOVE keeps us connected to our lost loved ones. This is one of the true fruits of LOVE, to experience the connection of by loving memories. Thank you for opening my connection to my wonderful father.

XOXO

JULES

Splendid Little Stars said...

Sinclair~
I remember reading this last year. I see that I did not leave a comment. My mother had just died and it must have been too raw for me. It is a lovely tribute to your special father.
♥ Margaret