Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Word Wednesday: Abundance

As the official start of summer approaches and those of us who grow some or all of our own food begin to enjoy all that ripening, I thought it a good idea to visit the word Abundance. According to Dictionary.com, this is the definition of the word:

Abundance;
–noun
1.an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain.
2.overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.
3.affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance.
4.Physics, Chemistry. the number of atoms of one isotope of an element divided by the total number of atoms in a mixture of the isotopes.

Origin:
1300–50; ME < class="ital-inline">abundantia. See abundant, -ance


1. copiousness, plenteousness. See plenty. 2. generosity.

With 15 tomato plants, I will hopefully soon have an extremely plentiful quantity of tomatoes. I have many other types of vegetable planted as well, and hope to have oversufficient numbers of each. Once I am overflowing with the fullness of my supply, I will be able to share with others because of the abundance of my heart. While I am not of particular affluence or wealth, I am happy to share with others the enjoyment of my abundance. Abundance is, after all, more enjoyable when shared. If we all practiced generosity with whatever we have in abundance, we would all be enjoying a better existence.

I know someone who recently went to the market for his regular groceries. While there, he purchased a pre-made sandwich, two apples, a banana, and a bottled water (too bad they don't come in glass containers!) and placed these items in a paper lunch sack. He then went outside the market and gave this lunch package to a person who routinely waits in the parking lot for long hours to take in unwanted bottles and cans. This person doing the shopping does not have particular affluence or abundance of wealth, but he very likely has a more abundant food supply than the man in the parking lot. It is not our place to judge whether the man in the parking lot is "legitimately needy" (as I hear people speculate), but to do what we can to help any person who might be in need. In any way that we are able to help. However small that help may be, or seem.

The term abundance is a relative term, because somebody is always going to have something in more abundant supply than another has, but we can make a difference every day if we just take stock of what we might have in abundance, and choose to share that with someone. I plan to can and dehydrate much of my vegetable crop to last us through the winter, but even so, I am certain to have more than enough abundance to pass some on as well.

Wishing you all hapy abundance...

Photobucket

1 comment:

Duni said...

Hi Sinclair!
We're having too much rain these last couple of weeks :(
Sounds like you have the perfect weather to get your veggies growing!
That's very kind of your acquaintance to buy a 'needy' person a healthy lunch.
I believe I live in abundance - I have a roof over my head, enough clothes, food to eat, a loving husband, friends, blogging friends :)