Saturday, July 11, 2009

Farmer's Market Update...

News from the Local Front: Another peaceful and entertaining evening was spent at the Friday Evening Market. I don't think the temperature tipped above 75 degrees, and there was a breeze all evening. The bird house man, with whom we have become better acquainted, brought us goods from his garden. Goodly sized goods, might I add? Gargantuan, even.I scratched the one on top when I was washing it, but they are all in very good condition. You are looking at 8 pounds, 3 ounces of zucchini, 5 ounces of yellow squash, and 8 ounces of carrots. AND he is going to build Amilia a birdhouse for next time. She had a favorite and it sold today, so he offered to make one just for her. Not only am I thankful for his bird house kindness, but it was very fortuitous that he brought us the fruits of his garden.

Because our organic farmer, from whom we ALWAYS buy our produce, was not present this day. They really have been the main event when it comes to produce; there are not very many others selling any. There were plenty of artisans, prepared foods, plants, and other wares on hand, however. Mr. Nature purchased a loaf of homemade bread and one dozen eggs from a market vendor. We have had these eggs before, and they were very tasty!This was the largest crowd of patrons I have yet seen this year, and the bee man said he had a very good selling evening.

For fun, Amilia and I made a list of each kind of dog we saw there. We always quiz each other about dog breeds when we are out in public. It is a fun game, and we are pretty savvy when it comes to crosses, too. Once, we saw a Catahoula Leopard/Black Lab mix, and guessed it spot-on.

So, today we saw:
  • Border Collie
  • Gordon Setter
  • Brittney Spaniel
  • Dachsund
  • Schipperke
  • Husky
  • Pomeranian
  • Pit Bull
  • Miniature Schnauzer
  • German Shorthair Pointer
  • Chihuahua
  • Long-haired chihuahua (that we thought was a Papillon)
  • And a hound of unknown specification (it was a rescue, and even the owner could not determine it, but she did say she and the vet thought it to be a purebred something). I now believe it to be an [Grand] Anglo Francais Tricolore. I will deliver my breed suspicions to the bee man next week.
Now I can relax a little while my squash (hopefully) ripen.
I have enough to pass the time...
Photobucket

4 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

i love to go to farmer's markets. We have one in Huntington on Sunday mornings. I got a really nice perennial plant there too. I just love to watch dog shows on tv. You actually saw a Schipperke? I figured that it was a hard to find breed. I think that hey are so adorable and mysterious looking. thanks for the comments too. Lori

Deb G said...

Reading this post is a lot like my mother calling after they are done selling at their local farmer's market. She always tells me what sold, what she is amazed didn't sell, what happened of note (or didn't if it was very slow). How fun to hear about different markets....

Splendid Little Stars said...

What will you do with all that squash?! I love the lavender wands. They are very pretty. Maybe people don't know what to do with them. What a fun game to play with Amilia.

DJ said...

I like the wands - very nice! Great photos here :)