Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How many ways to eat zucchini?

I am finding out just how many. If you follow my blog, you will know I have POUNDS of zucchini at my house right now, compliments of Birdhouse Man. Also, my plants finally started producing, so I have about three pounds from my own garden. We have eaten zucchini bread, stuffed zucchini, zucchini casserole, raw zucchini sticks, raw zucchini cubes in green salad, and today we consulted one of my favorite cookbooks (photo above) and made zucchini with hummus (photo below).
(image scanned from p. 195 of Complete Vegetarian)

I modified the recipe from the book because I was using more chickpeas than the recipe suggested, so I will tell you how I made it...

Hummus:
1 can of organic garbanzo beans, 15 oz. (I would really prefer bulk beans cooked fresh, but I was impatient)
4 cloves of garlic, crushed with wooden mallet
10 Tbsp lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed lemon and it took 3 smallish medium ones)
8 Tbsp tahini (I used raw Tahini from Earth Gourmet Foods in Eugene, Oregon)
4-8 Tbsp olive oil (start with 4, and work up from there if you like-I used 6)
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt

I used my Bella Cucina rocket blender ($19.99 right now at Macy's-I love this blender!) so I made it in two batches. I placed the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and 1/2 the garbanzo beans in the blender and blended for about 2 minutes. Poured mixture into bowl, retaining a small amount in blender. Added the olive oil, cumin, and other 1/2 garbanzo beans, and blended for about 2 minutes. Poured into bowl with first half of mixture. I then added the salt and stirred with a spoon until mixed in. FINISHED! If it is not thick enough for your liking, add more garbanzos. This was very lemony and garlicy, just how I like it. You could adjust down if needed for a milder flavor.

Zucchini (about 2 pounds):
While I was making the hummus, Mr. Nature cut up the zucchini into slices and used about 4 Tbsp of olive oil in our Wagner Ware #8 cast iron skillet, and pan fried (or pan sauteed, really) the zucchini slices until just browned and tender. Just about one to two minutes per side. C'est Finis!

If I were on the show Chopped, I would be chopped for plating in this manner, but here is how it looked:It should have had a paprika garnish on the hummus, and some greenery garnish on the plate. I could have picked a bit of basil from the east deck to go with the tomato, but I was too impatient. (a running theme)

This was an amazingly yummy way to eat zucchini. Local zucchini, heirloom tomatoes from my own garden, Garden of Eatin' Bible Bread pita bread, hummus made with fresh garlic from the farmer's market...and a fork. I also had 1/2 a pita pocket and made a sandwich with hummus, zucchini, onion, tomato, and lettuce. Exquisite!! Highly recommended.

How do you eat zucchini?
Photobucket

2 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Oh yum! I do love hummus. And your hummus with zucchini looks scrumptious. a great idea!

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Ooooh my mouth is watering and it's only breakfast here! I have a bunch of zucchini cookie recipes...yummm...and I mix yellow squash in with hash browns to make the potatoes lighter...off to make breakfast now :)