Monday, July 20, 2009

Smart Knit Kids

I don't know about you, but I have always been sensitive to the teeniest tiniest annoyance in my clothing. A scratchy tag, a poky seam, stiff fabrics, all a colossal bother. My mother always called me "The Princess and The Pea." My daughter is the same. In fact, there are no tags left in her clothes. Her underwear are purchased tagless. She refuses to wear denim at all. And for myself and my family, I am always feeling seams in socks in the store in an effort to finally find a type that wouldn't dig into our toes.

I was thrilled to be able to try out the patented "100% seamless" Smart Knit Kids socks made by Knit-Rite, Inc. Knit-Rite has been a maker of medically therapeutic textiles since 1923. Smart Knit Kids began in 2003 as a result of a mom requesting Knit-Rite to come up with a truly seamless sock.

I tried Medium, Large, and XL on my daughter, and she liked them all. "Hey, these are comfy!" were her words. I will say that we thought the medium was NEVER NEVER going to fit, as it looked like an infant sock when I pulled it out of its box. It uses the same type of Corespun yarn and Lycra as therapeutic support socks. This is to give a form-fitting design that won't bunch and wrinkle inside shoes. It did fit, as they all did, with some initial stretching. The medium fit as a crew sock would fit, the large was mid-calf, and the XL was higher than mid-calf, but not all the way to the knee. She is 46" tall with a shoe size of Toddler 12.

For me, one of the downsides of this sock is this support "hug" feature. They are made of 97.3% polyester and 2.7% Lycra. As a mom who is moving to completely natural fibers and avoiding fabric blends, I would much prefer to see a 100% cotton or bamboo variety of these socks. If I had never tried these, I might pass them up on a store shelf simply because I look for and usually purchase only 100% natural fabrics.

These socks are made in a tube shape with no discernible heel. This is to allow small children more confidence in putting on their socks, and to allow longer wear before they grow out of them. I normally do not like tube socks, but this works well with this design, and did not pose a problem for us at all.

The top of the socks are created with a specially trademarked Halo Top that we did very much enjoy. On the large and XL sizes, the socks have a very small finished edge, with no restrictive band to leave impressions on sensitive skin. For this feature alone, I would love to have a pair in my size.

One more feature of these socks is that they wick moisture away from feet, and have "antimicrobial benefits." I could not find any information about the antimicrobial agents or what, exactly makes the socks antimicrobial, but for me, this is another drawback. In my efforts to live a greener and healthier lifestyle, I avoid antibacterial agents, waterproofing agents, and other chemical enhancements that are supposed to provide benefits but are not derived directly from nature. Bamboo is a naturally antimicrobial fabric, so I say again that I would love to see a pair of these in bamboo.

These socks have benefitted many children with sensory disorders, and for them, I think the hugging fit, the corespun stretchy support, the seamless, heel-free design are spectacular. My child and I have Princess and Pea tendencies, so are also in need of seamless socks.

I like the socks and the idea and am happy that there is finally a seamless sock out there. Amilia really likes the comfort of these socks. However, for us, I would be much more inclined to purchase a design that is seamless, with heel, and made from 100% natural fibers. If you are looking for seamless socks, these might be for you.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Small Footprints said...

I'm with you ... I'd really prefer a natural fiber. These do sound nice, though!

Thanks for sharing!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Sinclair said...

The person with whom I have been in contact is going to send on the request, and maybe the company will start making a variety of styles and possibly offer natural fibers. I would love it because they are very well-made socks.