Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday Thoughts: Besieged!

Deer Palace is besieged by yellow jackets. We are off fighting the good fight, as it appears that the population of unwanted mean insects has suddenly exploded, despite our routine killing of insects and nests. The problem with yellow jackets is that their nests are very difficult to locate. Bringing out the big guns.

Last night we killed 14 yellow jackets inside the house. They had found a way in at a sliding glass door, but even after we shored up their entry point, they persisted. Trying not to use poison...employing many measures right now that include wasp traps, borax, and maybe fish or liver over a bucket of soapy water.

I think the snakes were more agreeable to me than having wasps invade the inside of my house. Mr. Nature was stung again last night while killing the swarm.

Suggestions?
Photobucket

6 comments:

redkathy said...

I have no suggestions but I can tell you that I would be forced to use chemicals as my son is very allergic!

Lenox Knits said...

I would totally be getting the poison out for this one too. Sometimes you have to fight with the big guns. Good luck!

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

I'm with the first two. It's poison all the way from 20 ft away, with those shooter cans of Raid.
Hubster got bit several years ago and got blood poisoning. Apparently, because they eat meat and other rotting things, they can carry disease, and transfer cooties when they bite.
We are having an abnormal amount of them right now also. What's up with that?

Deb G said...

I have a short list of places that I think chemicals are acceptable. Yellow Jackets close to (or in!) the house is one of them.

When I had yellow jackets in the siding of my house last year, I bought chemicals. I caulked every opening I could find in the spring. So far no problems with yellow jackets in the siding, but there is still time. :(

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Forgot to tell you earlier that I awarded your blog the Premio Meme award. You can check it out at my blog:
http://clayitagain.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

No suggestions but lots of sympathy! I hate those pesky things.