Friday, August 28, 2009

Feeling Beachy

We had a lovely day at the ocean, and I would love to tell you something profound about how I am transformed as a person by virtue of the coastal beauty, but I am really too tired to wax poetic. After this 14 hour day, I am lucky to still be coherent. The almost 3 hour drive (each direction) was very heavy on "when are we going to be there?" whining. Once we did get there, we were constantly on the move, and had a very enjoyable time. I have always lived within a 2-3 hour car ride from the ocean, and now is no exception. However, I had never visited the Oregon coast until today. I used to wonder, if I could choose to live anywhere, was I was really a coast person or a forest person? Over the last year or so, living between mountainsides covered with pine trees, I had decided. And I was right. I am a forest person. I still love visiting the ocean, but I am happy enough to leave when it is time to go.There is too much constant wind, blowing sand, and wet air. But I do love to visit and get my dose now and then. I love the smell of the air, the sound of the waves, and the sheer vastness of this marvelous specimen of nature. The driftwood that washes up is beautiful, and appears in so many odd shapes. The driftwood huts created by beachgoers are always a treat, and feel like little secret caves.
Amilia had a wonderful time. She had not been to the beach in over 1 1/2 years. Which meant she did not really remember it very well. I promised her that we will not wait another 1 1/2 years to go again. She spent the day making sand castles, sand angels (like in snow, but transfer to sand), collecting rocks, and just running up and down the beach. Mr. Nature and I spent most of our time watching Amilia and foraging for our own treasures. I think for Silent Sunday, I will share some of my sea glass, rock, and shell finds.This little critter was playing it up so he could get some freebies. We watched him eat peanuts from the man's hand and then be impatient for more when the handful was gone.

As always from the beach, we arrived home with sand everywhere. In ears, in hair, in clothes, in crevices, and in the car. The mess can wait.

Have a marvelous Friday.
Photobucket

1 comment:

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

For a moment I was taken away to the beach...thanks