Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What's for dessert?

Do you ever have bread that is not completely fresh, but it has not "gone over" and you don't know what to do? Fret no more, because I have found a most scrumptious bread pudding recipe! As a child, I ate my fair share of bread pudding, and it was not among my most favored food items. It was passable and better than canned spinach, but never something I would request.

As an adult, I have made bread pudding a handful of times, and I usually don't even use a recipe. It only requires cutting up your older bread into small cubes, adding a couple of eggs, some cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and mix it all up. Then, place in a pan and bake until a fork comes out clean. I like to eat it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or in the morning with coffee.

These days, we save most of our older bread for the chickens, so I rarely get to use it in the kitchen. But yesterday, I had about 5 cups of bread to use, and the chickens already have a bag full. So, I went in search of an actual bread pudding recipe. I found this one.

It states that it is an old Amish recipe, and it made the best bread pudding I have yet eaten. I did not make the topping sauce, and it was still a very stellar product. If ever a recipe could make bread pudding finally appear on my list of favored foods, this one would.

I used raw honey instead of sugar, and I used 4 eggs from my hens because my eggs are smaller than store eggs. I baked in a 9x9 glass Pyrex dish for 30 minutes at 350.

I would have taken a photo, but we ate it too fast!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Deb G said...

I fell in love with bread pudding many years ago at a restaurant. I tried several different recipes until I found the one that inspired my version ('cause I just have to tweak things!).

http://beecreative.typepad.com/photos/seasonaleat/page_2.html

This is just one version. I play around with substituting different fruits.

Auntie E said...

taking those photos can be hard...I finally put the camera in the kitchen.. that way I can shoot the pic before it goes into the stomach,lol. I love bread pudding, the only one in my family though. So I have to have company.... has to be soon , Now who can I invite..they will have to like bread pudding:-0