Sunday, September 27, 2009

Harvest Bustle

After 8 hours in the kitchen this afternoon, here is what we have to show for ourselves:

3.5 pounds more tomatoes in freezer for the winter
2 quarts tomato soup from scratch (about 3 cups left now that we ate it up for dinner)
3 trays sweet potatoes dehydrating
1 tray sungold tomatoes dehydrating
1 tray zucchini dehydrating
4 pounds grapes harvested and cleaned for eating (the very last off the vines)

I took a couple of 10 minute breaks, and worked on my current cabled hat project also. Going back to the hat now, in fact.

I had never in my life before today had tomato soup from scratch, and let me tell you, I am hooked! Blanching and peeling all those tomatoes first is a chore, but the FLAVOR - it's like drinking the sunrise - in a meadow of buttercups by a babbling brook. I highly recommend it, and the recipe is so simple, it would make you cry. You would be crying at all those missed years...those soupless, hapless years.

We should ALL make tomato soup, and share it all around!

Photobucket

3 comments:

GreenWorks said...

Looks like you have a great bounty of foods! All I managed this year were some tomatoes but they would have liked more sun than we get here. So have cleared a small patch and need to research what works in a shady area.

Deb G said...

Home made tomato soup is divine! Makes it hard to eat the other stuff.

Local grapes too. I'm not sure I could go back to eating CA grapes from the store. They mostly just taste sweet to me now.

Deidra said...

Could we have the tomato soup recipe?