Monday, September 7, 2009

I have a new favorite soup!

[Spiced] Red Lentil and Coconut Soup

Perhaps you have been reading a while and know that one of my favorite books is Complete Vegetarian by Nicola Graimes. I have a new favorite from this book that I made on Saturday evening. These recipes are copyrighted and I could not post the exact recipe from the book here on my blog without permission.

However, I have again made some modifications from the recipe given in the book, so I will tell you how I made it. If you want the true Spiced recipe, you will have to consult the book, and I'm sure you could find it on Amazon (or at Amazon, the very expensive hardback version) or at your local library. I omitted the spice element because I have a 5 year old eating my creations.2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 red onion, chopped
3 small garlic cloves, minced (garlic I grew this year!)
1-inch piece of lemongrass, outer leaves removed and inside finely sliced
1 cup of red lentils
1 tsp ground coriander (this was exciting because I used coriander that I grew in my herb garden this year, ground with a mortar and pestle)
1 tsp paprika (organic, that I purchased in bulk)
1 2/3 cups coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
3 scallions, chopped
1 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a deep stainless steel frying pan. Add onions, garlic, and lemongrass. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed, until the onions are soft and have a clear look.

Add the lentils and spices. Pour in 3 3/4 cups water and stir. Pour in the coconut milk and stir. Add 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are soft an mushy. (I cooked without a lid and stirred about every 5 minutes to keep from sticking or scorching.)

Once the lentils are fully cooked (after about 40 minutes) reduce heat all the way to the lowest setting, just enough to keep it warm for serving. Pour in the lime juice and add (most of) the scallions and cilantro, reserving just a few for garnish. Season as desired with salt/pepper and garnish with cilantro and scallions.

I used all organic ingredients. I served with a mixed green salad and crusty Pugliese bread. I'm sure that Cabernet Sauvignon was not the best wine paring, but it was what I had available.

YUM!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

sounds delicious! I love red lentils! Did you make the bread?

Sinclair said...

I did not make the bread this time; it was from an artisan bakery...

we have really gotten into lentils lately. They are tasty, nutritious, and they can often keep longer than dry beans will.