Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Tomato Soup Recipe

First, I blanched the tomatoes in boiling water for 1.5 minutes (until their skin split). Next, I plunged them into a bowl of ice and water, then removed the skins. I squeezed the juice and seeds into a bowl and put the meat of the tomato into another bowl (cut into small pieces or quarters).

I strained the juice with a small strainer to remove all seeds.

I measured
6 cups of tomatoes
1.5 cups of juice
and put into a stock pot to boil down to a mushy consistency.

saute some onions in another pan, and place in with the cooking tomatoes

Cool enough to put into blender or food processor. Blend or process until desired texture (liquefy). Strain to remove any further unwanted lumps.

(I skipped the final strain step because I was already happy with the consistency.)
Place the blended, strained soup back into the stock pot.

Add 3 cups of milk (4 cups if you want...it further smoothes and thins the soup)
Add 1/4 tsp salt
Add 1/4 tsp baking soda
Simmer, stirring frequently, about 20-25 minutes.

There was an actual recipe at which I looked to determine the basics, then we just winged it and used our own measurements, and came up with this method.

Serve. Season to taste if desired with salt/pepper. Add a dollop of sour cream and a few chives (I didn't this time, but I will next time).

Yum!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Sounds delicious and a "back to basics" recipe. Soup is the ultimate comfort food. I grew up eating it for breakfast, because I was allergic to milk and didn't like cereal.