Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just like that, fall dropped in to stay a while...

Two days ago, it was still warmish, balmy, lingering late summer weather. Sun, golden colors creeping into the landscape, and a very pleasant temperature for enjoying those last evenings outdoors were still with us.

Then, we were expecting a little rain yesterday. The rain arrived right on schedule and brought with it a cold front announcing the arrival of fall. I awoke Wednesday morning to 38 degrees.

I had allowed the tomato plants to remain in the ground until closer to the first frost, but they are covered as I write this (just after midnight) because tonight could be the first frost! Update: I awoke to 29 degrees and a light dusting of frost on the roof and outdoor tables; good thing we covered those tomato plants!

I will be pulling them up later today and attempting an experiment to allow all those green fruits to continue to ripen through the fall and into winter. I am going to keep them upside down in the greenhouse and/or garage until all fruits have ripened. I will keep you updated on how that works for us; we have never tried it before.

It is time to bring my 45 aloe vera plants into the garage for the winter now as well, along with the olive tree and the geraniums, jalapenos, and basil. Busy day ahead!

Mittens, hats, and scarves at the ready!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Dear Sinclair, the weather channel mentioned something about snow out West! Sorry that Fall has descended. Usually I bring my house plants indoors on Columbus Day. I do not have many because I prefer outdoor plants & shrubs, but the Clivias, Begonias, & Geraniums,are worth the trouble. Hope that Winter doesn't come too fast either.

Rumpleteazer said...

Here in the UK we have had a very warm September. But suddenly the swallows have flown south, there is a definite nip in the air today and summer is no more.