Saturday, October 24, 2009

Your task for today...

...is to tell me WHERE OH WHERE on earth can I find pumpkin recipes that do not involve anything from a can!!!

I find recipes that look oh, so appetizing...and click my little mouse button to follow the wafting aroma of fresh pumpkin to a marvelous map of ingredients...

Only to find that it ALWAYS says..."use one can of prepared pumpkin" or "2 cups canned heated pumpkin."

Really? Are we kidding here? Is there NOBODY that uses fresh pumpkin for anything but waste in the compost heap after it gave its life to be your jack-0-lantern??

We have become such a lax, insta-mix, eat out, frozen food, rhetoric fed society that we don't know how to cook anymore. We don't know how to eat. We don't know how to survive.

If I had been paying attention earlier, when my grandmother cooked WITHOUT recipes, I would know how to make many things from fresh pumpkin without needing a recipe. But, sadly, I only just arrived. And I need recipes.

Did your grandma pass any down that you are willing to share?



Photobucket

Photobucket

7 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

woohoo! I found one! http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Pumpkin%20Soup.pdf
I went right to this site because I thought there might be something here.
Animal Vegetbale Miracle.com
http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com
I love Barbara Kingsolver! If you haven't read it already, I recommend the book.

And why not substitute pumpkin for the butternut squash in this recipe:
http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Butternut%20Bean%20Soup.pdf

Queen Oblivia said...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,fresh_pumpkin,FF.html and http://allrecipes.com/howto/baking-with-fresh-pumpkin/Detail.aspx
are a couple of references. I just searched for "fresh pumpkin recipe" and came up with a bunch of stuff. Hope that helps!
~Kelly from PatioFarmersGuild.com

Sinclair said...

thanks to both of you! Now I have a lot of choices. I was searching for "pumpkin recipes" instead of "FRESH pumpkin recipes."

Animal Vegetable Miracle looks very interesting, indeed...

Deb G said...

You can use the fresh pumpkin in anything that calls for squash, you can use the fresh pumpkin in anything that calls for canned pumpkin once it's been cooked. _The Italian Country Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper_ has a wonderful pumpkin bread recipe. There is also an intriguing recipe for fried pumpkin slices in Deborah Madison's _The Savory Way_. I have a recipe for pumpkin soup somewhere too....

Animal Vegetable Miracle is terrific book.

Tracy said...

Just cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, turn cut side down on a sheet pan and put in the oven at 350 for about an hour and a half, or until you can smell the pumpkin. When you take the pumpkin out of the oven, you can peel the skin off easily, then cut the flesh in cubes and either put through a food mill or chop in a food processor. Put the processed flesh in a fine mesh strainer and let it drain for an hour or two. You can then measure the pumpkin and use it cup-for-cup as a substitute for canned pumpkin.

Sinclair said...

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have worked it out, and have been enjoying pumpkin that has been boiled rather than baked. My initial problem was that I wasn't sure of the equivalency between "one can" and How many cups? One can is 15 oz, so then I have to use my kitchen scale for my fresh pumpkin? I have avoided that problem by using recipes that are specifically for fresh pumpkin thus far.

Splendid Little Stars said...

someone just told me of this link:
http://allrecipes.com/howto/baking-with-fresh-pumpkin/Detail.aspx