Monday, November 2, 2009

Fabulous Fabric...Free!

I was driving by our local upholstery shop a week or so ago, and thought I would stop in to ask what they do with their cast-off swatch books. I used to get some wonderful fabric from an interior designer for $1.00 per book when she was finished with the run.Lucky me, I stopped at precisely the right time. The upholstery shop owner said that they usually don't switch to new fabric more than once every few years, and they were just ready to do away with some. She bade me return at the end of the week.When I returned, she had four paper grocery sacks brimming with fabric for me. No measly swatches bound in books. These are fabric remnants of various size, and they are very welcome at my sewing table. I love the textures and various colors I received, and now just have to put them to good use. There were two complete pillow covers with zipper closures. These have become storage for the fabric, and currently reside as throws on the couch.My only dislike for upholstery fabric is that it is often treated for flame resistance and to repel water. However, the frugal side of me says it would be a shame to let good fabric go to waste...

After all, a good coin pouch or outdoor throw pillow
would be happy to have such fabric.
And so they shall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Lenox Knits said...

Wow, what amazing timing. I can never turn away free yarn either, even if it's not perfect free is always good.

Splendid Little Stars said...

Oh do post what you do with it! I have some of those fabric books and fabric, too. I was thinking of using one for a chair cover. I thought of making purses, perhaps journal covers....