Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Hole in the Wall

I was recently visiting my local (favorite) coffee house, and a curious thing occurred. Mr. Nature and I rarely take time to visit for a sit-down coffee these days, but being detatched for an afternoon from any child appendages, we took our coffee "for here" on the comfy couch.

Behind this couch is a hole in the wall created by a loose brick. I have been visiting this coffee house for many years now, even before I moved here, and I have always been aware of this little hole in the wall. I have even seen little scraps of paper in there, but not being one to poke my nose where it doesn't belong, had never poked it into this little hole to examine its contents.Mr. Nature has no such reservations about holes in walls in coffee houses. By the time I ordered our coffee and bagels and arrived at the comfy couch, he was already deeply absorbed in reading a tiny tomb plucked from behind the brick. Oh what childhood joy was awaiting us there!

A 7-year-old boy had gotten his mom to place a tiny blank journal there last December, and it was brimming with wisdom and folly from philosophical and artistic children and adults.

Here is a sample:

"Hello, I am visiting here and am charmed by your book. The road is long and I am small." A. Wee Elf

"As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction." Irish Proverb

My favorite:

"It will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

There were also 2 admonitions to tie your shoes, 1 Japanese entry, 1 French entry, 1 proposal of marriage, protestations of love, and a prayer to "feel" your life with blessings. One scribe had "dislexics."

I forgot about my root canal woes.
I chuckled to myself.
I remembered childhood wonder.
I learned that
He Who Sits the Couch
Controls the Hole in the Wall.
Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

I would have written, "What goes around, comes around," or as the Beatles said, " all you need is love."

Lenox Knits said...

What a treasure. I would have been like your husband and started exploring. But my husband would have been more like you and minded his own business. I guess there has to be one in every couple in order to find those surprises in life.

Deb G said...

That is so sweet!

Splendid Little Stars said...

How fun!