Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What is your favorite Christmas song?

(photo from Plow and Hearth)

Amilia decided last year that "Silent Night" was her favorite song. So much so that it became the bedtime song for much of the year. She is so excited that we are back to the season in which she will hear it on the radio and from the town carolers. So, I was wondering, what are other favorite songs of the season?

When I was a child, I was in a Christmas program at my parochial school a few years in a row. It was held in the chapel, which was a traditional dark wood and stained glass chapel. My absolute favorite soul-swelling, spirit-lifting moments were always at the end as we sang "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful" while we solemnly filed out of the chapel and spilled through the doors into the bitter cold of a starry winter night. Those moments, I felt like my little heart would burst with joy.

With family, our favorites were "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" and "Silver Bells" and my mother would sing them to me over and over throughout the holiday season. We would have one of those little golden brass and candle doodads that would spin and ring little bell chimes by virtue of the candle heat. Do you know that crazy apparatus of which I speak?

They are called Angel Chimes, and apparently, have been manufactured in Sweden. I believe they originated in Germany, but have also been a traditional part of the holidays in Scandinavia. Having visited Sweden, I am happy to now have a the name and origin for my love of these chimes. I can add my memories of Lilla Torg Square in the fall to the memories of angel chimes during the Christmases of my childhood. Though some years they are difficult to find, I found them this year at Plow and Hearth.

Seasonal Favorites?
Do Share!

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Your post reminded me of the year I played the Blessed Virgin Mary at Christmas, also at parochial school. I have always loved the sound of the Christmas hymns in church, any church. Seems like that's what it might sound like in Heaven...

Yep, I remember those angel chimes!

Yanic said...

My favorite absolutely has to be "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas". And not just any version : the original "Meet me in St-Louis" performance by Judy Garland.

I think the reason I love it is because it is such a positive song about renewal and the rebirth of possibilities. It always brings tears to my eyes when I watch the movie every holiday season!

redkathy said...

Hands down, my very favorite Christmas song is Joy to the world. I have heard/ performed it with hand bells accompanying the choir and it is beautiful.