Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chicken and Rice Soup (finally...)

As promised, here is the soup, but I warn you, I am not a recipe writer and though it was very simple, I realize that it makes for a boring read!

First, I bought some organic chicken legs (4) because they are inexpensive and perfect for using in soup. When I got home, I put about 6 cups of water into a stock pot and boiled the legs until they were fully cooked. This created the broth.

Then, I took them out of the pot, while leaving all the liquid in the pot and leaving the temperature on low. I pulled every bit of meat possible off the bones, and shredded it by hand. Once the meat was separated and shredded, I put it back into the pot with the broth.

I tied a sprig of rosemary and a couple sprigs of thyme into a cheesecloth and dropped it into the broth with the meat.

[earlier] Just after I got the meat in to boil, I cooked 2 cups of rice in a separate pan. For rice, I use a deep stainless steel skillet. I put 4 cups of water in and bring to a boil. Add a pat of butter. Once the butter is melted and water boiling, I put in the rice and stir one time. Then, place the lid, and do not touch for 20 minutes. Done.

While the rice was cooking and the meat boiling, I sauteed an iron skillet full of celery, garlic, and yellow onions.

Once the meat was cooked and shredded and back in the pot, I added 1 cup of the cooked rice and the sauteed celery, garlic, and onions to the pot with the broth and chicken. I added 1/2 tsp of salt. I added 1 more cup of water because I wanted more broth. I added 1 cup of broccoli. I let it all simmer together for about 45 minutes. Then, I pulled out the cheesecloth, and the soup was ready to serve.

I put it into bowls and sprinkled scallions and cilantro on top. I salted and peppered to taste. Yum!

Ingredients:
chicken legs (4)
1-2 cups rice
1/2 cup celery (approx.)
1/2 yellow onion (or whole yellow onion, depending on size)
2-4 cloves garlic
1 cup broccoli
1/2 tsp salt
sprig of rosemary
2 sprigs of thyme

scallions to garnish
cilantro to garnish

In my seconds bowl, I sprinkled cumin on to taste. Mmmm. The next night when we had the soup again for dinner, I sprinkled some yellow curry on mine. Not bad!

Note that I made two cups of rice, but only put one in the soup. This was because I always make 2 cups at a time. I wasn't sure how much my soup would want, and we used the rest for teriyaki stir-fry lunch while we waited for the soup to cook. So, adjust as you will.

Happy eating!


Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: