Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Crafting the Wreath

I was inspired by this post on Bee Creative, and I set to work here at Deer Palace. First, Amilia and I gathered up the supplies in the above photo. Some fir tree branches, cotoneaster branches, pine cones, red berries from cotoneasters and from another shrub whose name at the moment eludes me.

How did we fare? I will begin with my favorites. These were small and round, and all I did was form the initial outer circle. Amilia did all the rest. Here is the first (and my favorite) one, as it now graces our front step:

The next one turned out the perfect size and shape to fit this candle and holder so it could become our table centerpiece:Having little experience at this wreath making business, I found that I had some difficulty making the larger outdoor wreath exactly round, and giving it girth. I even used floral wire and thread on this baby. In fact, I think I am going to re-work it altogether. Amilia cried because it was so scraggly. I thought it deserved a place anyway, while it waits for me to spruce it up a little...Wreaths can be expensive so we usually don't have one. My favorite parts of this project were the nature walk at home, time spent with Amilia, and the FREE price tag.

Happy Nature Crafting!
Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Deb G said...

I think they are beautiful!

One tip for fuller (and yes it so takes practice, I'm not nearly as good as my mother) is to make full little bundles of branches and to layer them closer together as you go round. Wire does make them stay put better.

Dottie said...

I love what you've done! So simple and nature yet elegant at the same time. Love it!

Lenox Knits said...

What a great project and way to share time with family. I will have to try it myself.