Monday, December 14, 2009

Perimenopause? Men, avert your eyes...

Soon, I will share with you a chicken and rice soup recipe that I just worked up off the cuff Friday evening. For those of you who know that I am was a (95%) vegetarian of the lacto-ovo variety, I announce that I am handing in the keys to the Vegetarian Room.

I am, once again, fully a meat eater. We are again a meat eating family. But only at home where I know that I have the best, cleanest, organic and naturally raised meat available. (If eating out, I think I will still eat vegetarian. Unless it is at one of the two places I know that serve good, healthy, locally raised meat.)

Why have we purchased this new, one way passage on the "meatitarian" train? Because there is a ridiculous anomaly in this mortal coil called perimenopause that thieves your muscle mass and fat stores and leaves you a skin-stretched skeleton on the verge of anemia. And for me, it just makes good sense to give my body what it seems to be craving for proper balance.

And yes, this phenomenon CAN strike people who are just past mid-thirties...okay, nearing 40. Don't let anybody tell you it cannot. It began before 40 for my mother, and apparently, that trend continues. I will spare you the details, but there have been telltale signs for over a year now. It is a natural occurrence, and my blog is all about Nature, after all. I do think there should be discourse somewhere because it was left out of the aging manual I received. Wait, you mean there IS no aging manual? Exactly!

So, chew on that tasty morsel for a bit
while I work up the recipe...

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Maybe I should become a vegetarian and lose some of this extra weight that has been hitchhiking on me without invitation... But, I can't see myself doing so when there's nothing I like better than STEAK! (Sorry, I had to say it.) Anyway, welome back, Sinclair. I hope you will feel better.

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Welcome back to the carnivore territory :)

Lenox Knits said...

That is so interesting. I have seriously been suspecting that I may be entering that stage myself. I am 37 now and I have been noticing some weird changes in my cycle and whatnot. I have been meaning to talk to my MD about it but I'm having a hard time accepting it.

I'm glad you've rejoined the ranks of the meat eaters as my Dad is a cattle farmer.