Monday, February 1, 2010

Teeny Tiny House Living

(image from Mark's Tiny Home)

I remember a story several years ago about a couple in California who had downsized. To a smaller home, that is. A REALLY smaller home. On purpose.

(not involuntarily from employment, as is the case for the word "downsized" these days)

Their situation occurred at the height of the artificially inflated real estate boom, and I recall that they had placed many offers, only to have all the houses snatched up before they could realize a successful bid. They even tried giving a seller cake in the deal. In the end, they ended up with something like 650 square feet for around $300,000.00 in a desireable area of a shishi (pronounced sheeshee) city. But, hey, decadence was oozing from every crack in the American sidewalk, and people were flipping houses with the zeal of Julia Child flipping a pancake.

I remember thinking the idea of a tiny house was kind of fun and interesting, and also thinking they were N U T S to think they got a deal on the place. Next, I remember thinking that no craft supply hoarder such as myself could ever hope to pare down enough to live in just one. I would need a second one next door as a studio. Mine would look like THIS, but with yarn and fabric instead of belts and radios.

And I can honestly say that I would refuse to live in this one that looks like a giant coffee table set out in a field: (from Top 5 Tiniest Prefab homes)
Fast forward to what is now being called The Great Recession. Are [theproverbial] 'they' still seriously trying to say it is only a recession? Nay, 'they' go even further and claimThe Great Recession is over, and our economy is back on the rise. Perhaps 'they' need to phone that message to the people who are NOT hiring me for a job because they are not hiring anybody right now.

These days, more and more people are choosing to purchase and live in teeny tiny houses. Not for $200,000.00, but more like $19,000.00 to $50,000.00. (Tumbleweed Tiny House Company) These appeal to the gypsy in me because they are so small that they can be loaded onto a truck and moved easily.

These houses also lend hope for many that home purchase may still be possible. Sure, there are still some with what I consider to be exorbitant price tags, but most can be had for a reasonable sum. These houses range in size from about 60 square feet (REALLY?!) to about 750 square feet, give or take. Makes the HUGE boxes being built in recent years look like monolithic ruins and ghastly wastes of energy and space.

I am not the only one who has taken notice of this trend toward smaller space living, and I believe that it will gain steam and continue into the near future. In fact, the people moving to tiny houses are being called members of "The Tiny House Movement." That's right, people. You are a MOVEMENT. You have made Walden Cabin en vogue again.

Take a gander:

Tiny House Design
Living Large in Our Little House
Tiny House Blog
Have House, will travel
Tiny Houses Get Creative
This Tiny House
Very Small House
Little House on a Small Planet

I know not where life will take me and my family,
but if it is to a tiny house, I shall be able to pretend
I live at Walden Pond.
In the Walden Woods of 1854.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

accessahut said...

Thanks for running this. Note that these houses need to be zoned for a city--and we all need to pitch in and fix the zoning laws.

But you can find grandfathered in tiny homes--we did! See our discoveries at http://www.accessahut.wordpress.com