Friday, March 19, 2010

Eat Something Yummy

After my morning chores are finished and the day is rolling smoothly, I am going to make a new batch of sugarless oatmeal cookies. They are sweetened with mashed banana, and we love them! We are on the edge of spring, and we are ready for a pick-me-up! Savor living today and eat something yummy (but still healthy).

Here is the recipe: (from CalorieCount.about.com)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Oats
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (I used oat flour instead of wheat flour)
1/2 tsp salt (I only use sea salt)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 c chopped pecans (optional) ( I omitted pecans, but added 1/4 cup raisins)
2 bananas
5 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
Directions
  1. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mash up the bananas with the oil in another bowl. Mix the two together. Drop by spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

  2. *You could also substitute unsweetened applesauce for the bananas and oil if you prefer. (if so, I would start with 1/2 cup and adjust as needed from there)

We are not counting calories and are most certainly not on the South Beach diet (if you go to the recipe link, you will see that it mentions the South Beach diet), but this recipe is the only sugarless oatmeal cookie recipe I could find that uses REAL ingredients. NOT low calorie diet margarine or Splenda or Crisco or some other shortening or laboratory created Frankenfood substitutes.

These cookies are perfectly sweet enough with bananas as their sweetening agent, and they have a hint of banana flavor in them. They don't spread. They just stay the size dropped and that size is small, so I am going to double the batch this time.

Happy Food Friday to you!

If you want to read how others are eating
real, whole, nourishing food, you can visit
Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday.

Photobucket

5 comments:

liz said...

Oh, Sinclair!!! You have no idea how thrilled I am! My youngest has an intolerance to fructose/most sweeteners, and foods that have a high amount of natural sugar as well. I haven't heard of any sugar free dessert recipes that don't contain the artifical sweeteners. This is great! Thanks!!

Small Footprints said...

These look wonderful ... and I love that the ingredients are so healthy and vegan! I can't wait to try them!

Thanks so much for sharing them and ... wishing you a fabulous spring!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

trikonahealthworks said...

what a good idea! I'm gonna try these with the banana, some mashed dates & some coconut flake!

redkathy said...

WOW Sinclair these cookies sound wonderful. I am a fan of using bananas in place of oils.

Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds yummy, I'll need to try that recipe