Monday, March 8, 2010

Home and Garden Pest Control Bundle Review

This is part 1 of my review of EcoSmart products. I received a Home and Garden Pest Control bundle for purposes of this review. The reason this is only part 1 is that it is so early in the season that I have not been able to use all the products yet. However, I have tried two of the four.

If you have followed me for some time, you will know that I try to avoid harmful chemicals at every possible juncture. EcoSmart calls itself "the safe pesticide brand" and uses proprietary blends of essential oils that naturally get the desired results. The company was founded in 1992 by a former attorney and then-expectant-father-to-be when he began exploring safe alternatives to household chemicals. He has backed his technology with scientific testing and methodology.

Now, how does it work in the real world?

I first tried the weed and grass killer on my gravel pathways, as I have plenty of rogue weeds and grass popping up all around. I have had mixed results. This is more due to weather than product effectiveness, I believe. In some patches, I find that the spray has been successful. This is mostly in areas where the sun has reached the area sprayed for some amount of time during the day. In the shady areas, the grass has not died off as well. We have had some rain here off and on lately, and I'm sure that has an effect. The product information does state that "cloudy, cooler weather may delay or reduce efficacy. " I will update you on the final success when I follow up with part 2 in a few weeks.

Next, I have tried the Garden Insect Killer and have had wonderful results! It is time to get the garden beds in shape now that I have the seedlings all sprouted and happy in the greenhouse. Seedlings are very vulnerable to pests, and I have already found some garden pests and larvae beginning in various areas. I grabbed my bottle of Garden Insect Killer and sprayed them thoroughly. The results were immediate and very satisfactory. I have followed up twice, as some more insects were found. I have not had to do a fourth spray, as the area has now remained free of those pests for over a week.

I have not yet had occasion to try the Garden Fungicide, but I have been pruning roses and grapevines, and will apply the fungicide in the coming weeks. I did not treat the roses last year, and they are definitely in need of black spot protection.

Likewise, due to the winter season, I have not yet had to try the personal organic mosquito repellent that helps repel "mosquitoes, ticks, gnats and other annoying pests." We have had a rainy end of winter, and are expecting a rainy spring, so we may soon be in dire need of mosquito repellent!

One more thing I can say for certain right now is that all the products have a pleasant aroma, in my opinion. I will report my final findings and opinions on all products in Part 2 in a few weeks.

Photobucket

No comments: